Android SDK, Eclipse, Geany, and build.xml

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Android SDK, Eclipse, Geany, and build.xml

Postby kidcarnage » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:52 am

I am runnning Android Code from the Linux Format Coding Academy.

When compiling my build.xml document in eclipse for the android code I get the error /home/crichton/android_code/build.xml:37: Cannot find /Users/juliet/android-sdk-mac_x86 /tools/ant/pre_setup.xml imported from /home/crichton/android_code/build.xml

In looking in the build.xml file I see
<import file="${sdk.dir} /tools/ant/pre_setup.xml" />
The sdk.dir is redirecting the output to /Users/juliet/android-sdk-mac_x86 /tools/ant/pre_setup.xml
If I take the sdk.dir out I can append directories to the path to try and get the right ant tool to work. However, if I take sdk.dir out the project dir of the coding project gets automatically appended to the file.

How can I edit sdk.dir to let me tell eclipse where ant is? Ant works from the terminal and it is in my ~/bashrc file with the $PATH showing all directories available to the ant tools.

If I use geany to compile it tells me that CountdownActivity.java:3: package android.app does not exist none of my import android.app and such are getting imported.

From my reading this is standard and you need Ant to compile a build.xml file to include your android libraries?

If anyone can help me put the rest of the information I am lacking or misunderstanding thanks.

Also the author of the article telling you how to build the Android programs name is Juliet so that seems to me to much of a coinciidence with the error being recieved.
kidcarnage

Postby julietkemp » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:06 am

Hi -- it looks like this is an Eclipse-specific error, & I confess that I'm not at all familiar with Eclipse (being a command-line person :) ).

But I think you want to try step 14 under 'Android Eclipse Plugin' here:
http://www.talkandroid.com/android-sdk-install-guide/

Alternatively, you could edit local.properties directly; however, the boilerplate on this file advises against doing this as it's supposed to be auto-generated by Android Tools. I'm afraid I don't know how/why/whether Eclipse is supposed to interact with this. You could also just delete it & see if Eclipse regenerates it?

Apologies anyway that it slipped through into the sample code.
julietkemp

Return to Programming