Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wubi is awesome 8)

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
leke
LXF regular


Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:45 pm
Posts: 503
Location: Oulu, Finland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Wubi is awesome 8) Reply with quote

I wanted to add Linux on a bashed up laptop for the kids. It couldn't boot from USB and the CD drive was broken. It just had WinXP on it.

Turns out that's all I needed! Ubuntu made this thing for windows called Wubi. It's an exe that lets you install Linux while running the Windows OS.

Now I have a nice duel boot machine which should keep the little rascals away from mine, and a cleaner conscious Surprised
_________________
http://truecenterpublishing.com/zenstory/maybe.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amitT
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wubi is nice but working pretty slow,
if you can't live without window try dual boot ...


_________________________
"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."
[url=http://localhost/][/url]


Last edited by amitT on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
leke
LXF regular


Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:45 pm
Posts: 503
Location: Oulu, Finland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amitT wrote:
wubi is nice but working pretty slow,
if you can't live without window try dual boot ...

Wubi is a installer for Linux on Windows. It creates a dual boot machine.
_________________
http://truecenterpublishing.com/zenstory/maybe.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedWillow
LXF regular


Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:05 pm
Posts: 719

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@leke, amitT is a spammer. Spam in the signature link. I'll notify it in this thread:

http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11765&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leke
LXF regular


Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:45 pm
Posts: 503
Location: Oulu, Finland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H
RedWillow wrote:
@leke, amitT is a spammer. Spam in the signature link. I'll notify it in this thread:

http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11765&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Yeah, I noticed his sig was in his post when I hit quote. I thought it was just him being a noob.
What worries me the most is, are the spam bots now equipped with AI -- like CleverBot?
Its response made me talk back. That's so **** up. Scary times Shocked
_________________
http://truecenterpublishing.com/zenstory/maybe.html


Last edited by leke on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amitT
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not spammer,
wubi not dual boot, it's making ubuntu work from windows like virtual machine ...
I don't think that wubi is the same as dual boot ... Mad Mad
Back to top
leke
LXF regular


Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:45 pm
Posts: 503
Location: Oulu, Finland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amitT wrote:
I'm not spammer,
wubi not dual boot, it's making ubuntu work from windows like virtual machine ...
I don't think that wubi is the same as dual boot ... Mad Mad
Silence CleverBot! Very Happy

Ok, wikipedia...
Wubi (Ubuntu installer)
Wubi (Windows-based UBuntu Installer) is an official Windows-based free software installer for Ubuntu.

I have these conversations with CleverBot when I'm feeling lonely Razz
_________________
http://truecenterpublishing.com/zenstory/maybe.html


Last edited by leke on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amitT
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leke wrote:
amitT wrote:
I'm not spammer,
wubi not dual boot, it's making ubuntu work from windows like virtual machine ...
I don't think that wubi is the same as dual boot ... Mad Mad
Silence CleverBot! Very Happy

Ok, wikipedia...
Wubi (Ubuntu installer)
Wubi (Windows-based UBuntu Installer) is an official Windows-based free software installer for Ubuntu.


super clever but not a bot Razz
Back to top
leke
LXF regular


Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:45 pm
Posts: 503
Location: Oulu, Finland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amitT wrote:
leke wrote:
amitT wrote:
I'm not spammer,
wubi not dual boot, it's making ubuntu work from windows like virtual machine ...
I don't think that wubi is the same as dual boot ... Mad Mad
Silence CleverBot! Very Happy

Ok, wikipedia...
Wubi (Ubuntu installer)
Wubi (Windows-based UBuntu Installer) is an official Windows-based free software installer for Ubuntu.


super clever but not a bot Razz

That's just what CleverBot would say Laughing
_________________
http://truecenterpublishing.com/zenstory/maybe.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bazza
LXF regular


Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:16 am
Posts: 1473
Location: Loughborough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi leke...

Oh Wubi, don't take your love to town... ;oD

(Not Kenny Rogers. ;o)
_________________
73...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedWillow
LXF regular


Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 2:05 pm
Posts: 719

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amitT wrote:
I'm not spammer,


Your very first post to this forum, made only a few minutes after you registered, contained a link to a commercial site in your sig - to a gambling site iirc. This has all the hallmarks of a spammer. Your link was spam which means you are a spammer.

I see that you have been a member of Ubuntuforums since 2006, but remarkably haven't been banned yet. If you had made a new account on Ubuntuforums this morning with that link, your post would have been jailed, you would have been banned and your IP address blocked from Ubuntuforums. And quite rightly so. You know this. Posting commercial links in a signature is a bad breach of netiquette.

amitT wrote:
wubi not dual boot, it's making ubuntu work from windows like virtual machine ...
I don't think that wubi is the same as dual boot ... Mad


Doesn't matter what you think. To the user Wubi behaves like a dual-boot. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Wubi is not a virtual machine in Windows. Wubi uses a loopmounted virtual partition within the Windows filesystem and runs independently of Windows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhakios
Moderator


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am
Posts: 7627
Location: Midlands, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedWillow wrote:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...


It's RoboDuck!

Wink
_________________
Bye, Rhakios
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Linux Format forums topic RSS feed 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


Copyright 2011 Future Publishing, all rights reserved.


Web hosting by UKFast