Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toshiba Satellite C670-10H

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guy13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Toshiba Satellite C670-10H Reply with quote

Hello all,

Has anyone been succesfull in installing linux on a Toshiba Satellite C670-10H laptop? The processor is an AMD E350. (HD = 640GB ; 6GB Ram)

Any advice would be wellcome.

Thanks in advance.
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see your model listed here, but there are a fair number of entries showing success of a wide range of variants.

I'd pick a LiveCD or LiveUSB for your personal favourite, and try that before installing. It usually gives a reasonable measure of what will work with the hardware.

Depending on the age of the hardware, you might need to use a less recent than current release.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandnsmith wrote:
Depending on the age of the hardware, you might need to use a less recent than current release.

I suspect modern distros won't be a problem if he's got a laptop sporting 6GB RAM. Laughing

Saying that though, I'd go for the 64 bit edition (I assume the laptop is 64 bit or the last 2.5ish GB RAM are wasted on it.)

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
guy13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I don't own the device (yet?) so I can't really experiment with live CD's or anything. It just seemed like an affordable replacement for my old laptop which is starting to break down. However if I can't be sure it'll run some linux flavour it's a no-no.

Thanks again.
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy13 wrote:

I don't own the device (yet?) so I can't really experiment with live CD's or anything.

I'm stupified. Before you buy is the ideal time to try a LiveCD, as it doesn't do anything to the current installation.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever tried asking a sales droid in a high street retailer if they mind you booting their computer with a random CD-R?

It's even more difficult with the mail order suppliers...
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why it's often better not to ask, just do. Twisted Evil

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My small contribution here is just to say that if it has an Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (as my Toshiba Satellite L755D has) then avoid it.
This chipset is supposed to be supported, however, within ten minutes of unplugging the network cable it locks up completely. If you don't plug the cable in, then either it fails to boot fully, or locks up within ten minutes of booting.
Currently running Windows 7 after a week of trying to fix the problem.
guy13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Turns out the sales droid didn't mind me trying to boot from a live CD (although it took an intervention from the apple droid to set boot priority to cd-rom...) - maybe it was his little act of rebellion? Seemed to work fine but then I discovered the machine doesn't have a graphics card so I didn't buy it after all.

I ended up buying a different Toshiba laptop (L650 - 1PR) in a different shop. It works with live cd's but I haven't had time yet to install.

Thanks again for the assistance.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: