Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lack of spam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Lack of spam Reply with quote

How does this forum seem to have so little spam?

I have a little forum and I get inundated with spam users and posts daily. I'm running the latest version of phpbb, with anti spam image on and email activation!

I might have to move to admin activation soon if this keeps up!
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admin one site and moderate another. My site doesn't get spammers because we restrict registration. The one I moderate on gets spam all the time, but new users have to go through a period where all posts are vetted by me. Any I don't like get disapproved and admin gets a PM off me about it.

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of spam Reply with quote

bobthebob1234 wrote:

I seem to recall that Mike has banned sign-up from some domains entirely.
With the restrictions on what you can add to your profile, it bis less attractive to spammers than it once was.
The mods and admins get rid of a lot of the spam (and spammers) before you get to see it. This also makes it a less attractive target.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo,

1) Add nofollow to all links, so that spamming links is pointless for SEO (spammers are usually too stupid to understand this, but it makes their work redundant at least)

2) Stop people posting links in signatures entirely

3) When signing up, have a spam-detector question relating to the subject of the forum (eg if it's about Doctor Who, have a pic of a Dalek and ask "What is this?")

Even then, you might be the target of spam. I've seen a very sad spreadsheet used by "SEO companies" (read: spamming pieces of crap) with a list of forums, including this one, and details of how to spam it (eg "Register, wait a day, post something in Off Topic, wait a week, add link")

If an SEO company has put your forum on its spreadsheet, you're kinda doomed for now, as 10,000 people in Asia will be "working" for the SEO company, signing up for 50 Yahoo Mail accounts each to create usernames and post links.

I've uncovered a lot of SEO companies that just employ people in Asia to spam links on sites. If anyone reading this works for an SEO company, go die in a fire. You do nothing to make this world better.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the spreadsheet:

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3313/spammerz.png

This is how "SEO consultants" etc. operate. Big lists of ways to waste everyone's time. In fact, a fiery death is too quick for them.

M
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. Is that a complete list? If not, is there a more thorough list available?

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just one list from one "SEO consultant". I'm sure there are many, many more doing the rounds.

M
ollie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lack of spam Reply with quote

bobthebob1234 wrote:

The forum moderators are also fairly active in removing spam and monitoring new user registration. Very Happy
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I should also give credit to the busy moderators here who, during really bad times, kept on top of the spam really well. Thanks everyone! I'd buy you all a beer, but I don't know where you are, so I'll buy the beers and drink them myself.

M
ollie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it can be quite humorous at times of high spamming. Make sure you have an icy cold Australian beer for me!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
Yeah, I should also give credit to the busy moderators here who, during really bad times, kept on top of the spam really well. Thanks everyone! I'd buy you all a beer, but I don't know where you are, so I'll buy the beers and drink them myself.

M

All of the moderators have a location in their profile, you'll have to come up with a better excuse for drinking our beer Razz
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Warrington&ll=53.392533,-2.586089&spn=0.002329,0.004823

I some how doubt that you live in the carphone warehouse, although I guess they wouldn't mind some free beer
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, being moderators I suppose it behoves us to be moderate when it comes to drink...
So as Mike is an Admin not a mod, he can be immoderate and get well and truly sloshed.
I tell you what, I'll buy myself a few bottles of Fuller's 1845 and send the bill to Mike, care of LXF towers. Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: