Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing Mint 11 from coverdisk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Installing Mint 11 from coverdisk Reply with quote

I downloaded the DVD-iso of Mint 11. After wasting 4 DVD's (partly my own fault) I decided to try booting in another way: I mounted the image loopback, copied all the files to a special partition and booted into that partition. That worked: I got the same desktop as booting from the DVD. But installing went wrong: The installer told me that device /CDROM had to be unmounted to be able to continue, but the mounted /CDROM was the device (partition) where the install-files were on, so that cannot be unmounted per definition.

So I tried the coverdisk from LXF 148 but that had exactly the same result.

A couple of weeks ago Viking777 posted more or less the same problem, but a solution was not given. If we both have the same problem (and I have it in two quite different situations) is there something wrong with the installer?

Hans Kaper.
kaper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are interested: my second problem is solved. Installing Mint from the DVD succeeded after I removed the Mint-files from the harddisk-partition. In some unknown way, after booting from the DVD, Mint switched to these files on the harddisk, started installing from there and stopped with the message: device /CDROM has to be unmounted to be able to continue. With these files out of the way, installing from the DVD was succesfull.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: