Govt v Open Source.

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Govt v Open Source.

Postby External_Floppy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi,

Did anyone else see this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14765545

The Beeb sticking up for Open Source...? :shock: :)
Linux: Open your mind, not your wallet.
External_Floppy

Postby guy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:58 pm

They are so expert in OSS support that they published their complied results as a Google thingy that my Firefox barfs on and as a .xlsx spreadsheet.

Meanwhile their fellow journalists elsewhere are crystal clear about the Government's commitment to open standards. Computer Weekly reckons it has backtracked on its commitment, while UKauthorITy.com is pleased to trail the imminent announcement - by the same Government spokesman - of the first twelve mandated standards. Got that?

But it is a bit hypocritical of the BBC to plug OSS. (hypocritical? How can that be when iPlayer has such a reputation for open standards compliance and OSS licensing?)

"Confused? You will be!"
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:57 am

guy wrote:But it is a bit hypocritical of the BBC to plug OSS. (hypocritical? How can that be when iPlayer has such a reputation for open standards compliance and OSS licensing?)

Not to mention how completely shite the Android version is. Particularly irritating as the two independent developers' efforts that the BBC killed off were far superior in terms of functionality and stability.

Oh, and don't get me started on F1. Feel completely shafted. Do I want to watch half the races? No! Do I want to (or even afford to) cough up £400+ to the Murdoch empire to watch the other half (about £40 a race, 'cos I have no other use for Sky), not a chance!

So, despite watching almost every race since the days of Mansell, I'm probably not going to bother next year. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:29 pm

AndyBaxman wrote:Oh, and don't get me started on F1. Feel completely shafted. Do I want to watch half the races? No! Do I want to (or even afford to) cough up £400+ to the Murdoch empire to watch the other half (about £40 a race, 'cos I have no other use for Sky), not a chance!

So, despite watching almost every race since the days of Mansell, I'm probably not going to bother next year. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

AndyBaxman:
With you on that! True, life goes on, its not the end of the world etc But it is the end of an era. I was gutted when BSB was lost from the beeb, fortunately it went as far as ITV4. Except for 9mths there was no reception for ITV4 on Freeview in this area.
Premiership, Cricket. Rugby, Golf etc etc
In the end, money has the potential to corrupt anything.
When I heard the news, I did a Murray, bit of a lump in the throat. Mainly because it was lunchtime and I chocked on my sandwich.
I spend more time out on my bike now, read a bit more, listen to more music, spend time with family+freinds etc Shall do the same next year (all being equal). Pay enough in TV license fee.

As for gov involvement in OSS. I remember typing a fairly long and waffly post (as per) in August 2004 on this forum about why OS "won't make huge in-roads in local gov for at least another 5 years". Looking back, some of the post was fairly offensive.

On the flip side, in that time, my Dad is now using it, my Uncle was (until he passed away), my brother is.

But the main issue is still the same, without political will there is no way.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby guy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:48 pm

nordle wrote:As for gov involvement in OSS. I remember typing a fairly long and waffly post (as per) in August 2004 on this forum about why OS "won't make huge in-roads in local gov for at least another 5 years". Looking back, some of the post was fairly offensive.

On the flip side, in that time, my Dad is now using it, my Uncle was (until he passed away), my brother is.

So are several central Government departments. I think they will need to embarrass the local authorities for a while before our poor provincial administrators wake up.

At least the Cabinet Office is clear that Open Standards must be unencumbered by patents with "reasonable" licensing charges and stuff like that. Computerworld UK has a good article about the parliamentary exchange with Francis Maude no less that made this clear. The UK now differs from the EU on this. Let's hope we don't do what they did and change our minds.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Return to Discussion