My crystal ball just pinged me:
- M$ will release an iOS client, planning to play for market share until Windows 7 dominates then pull support for iOS.
- M$ will release a buggy Android client, claiming they will fix it but after not very long they will say that the Android ecology makes it impossible to do business and then pull it.
- M$ will give Nokia the impression that they will release a Symbian client, but it will never quite happen.
- Google will release a competitor that plays nicely with Android (i.e. with the big mobile telco's OS of choice) and with BlackBerry and even with iOS.
- M$ will desperately block Google VoIP from Windows 7 and break inter-OS calling but that will just lose W7 market share. Meanwhile Apple will do their own awesomely shiny VoIP thing and desperately block Google VoIP from iOS but because they allow inter-OS calling nobody except a few FOSS diehards will notice.
- Eventually Skype will all but die, just like Bing, and Google VoIP will dominate, in the guise of a thousand different brands.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt