Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux Format and Zinio Adobe Air

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bengan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Linux Format and Zinio Adobe Air Reply with quote

I thought I go for a digital copy of Linux Format, LXF150, from Zinio this time. LXF at a newsstand costs about 13 in Sweden. My first problem was that the images were of very poor quality. So poor that you can't read the text in them. If it is Zinio or Linux Format that is wrong here I do not know. Next problem is that I can't print out an article with Zinio on Adobe Air. There is a print icon down in the left corner. When I press the print icon Adobe Air just sends an empty document to the printer with no ending (I checked with wireshark). After exchanging some emails with Zinio support, and a few days troubleshooting, it turns out that there are some bugs not fixed yet. They then ask me to use their web client. Turns out Linux Format can't be used with the web client. After a few more days Zinio tells me that they are moving away from Adobe Air and that they are sorry for my troubles. It'll be interesting to see if the new solution will work for us on Linux.
alavarre

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Zinio for Linux Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this. You saved me a lot of time. Sad

Great idea, but poor execution, Zinio...

I also tried the manual download and install of Adobe Air and Reader 4, They just don't work, and the Adobe site says they no longer support Air for Linux.

It may work under Wine... and I have VirtualBox with WinXP, but that is a lot of hassle... Still for 40 savings it may be worth the bother. But not today.

And would you be able to download the live DVD ISOs?

Ah, nevermind:

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/content/lp/linuxformat/
*Please note that Zinio digital subscriptions do not include the coverdisc that comes with the magazine, or any covermount gifts. Access to the subscriptions only area is also not available.
UNQUOTE

Cheers, Andy Evil or Very Mad
Haakin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

You should be able to download the coverdisc here:

http://www.linuxformat.com/archives

Javier
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The archive access is limited to some articles, unless you subscribe, as far as I know
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Archives page and select an issue, and you'll see a green link with "Click here to get the DVD via BitTorrent" in it (don't have to be logged in).

M
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: