pride and games

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

pride and games

Postby Spangwiches » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:47 am

This will be babble, forgive me.

I like playing games. I also like taking screenshots and showing them to my friends. In Windows I used a proprietary and paid-for piece of software to take screenshots of games because the normal Windows screenshot mechanism doesn't work with graphical overlays.

In Linux I was just using the gnome-screenshot thing. But it only seems able to save as pngs. 4mb is a bit much for a game screenshot. So! I wrote a little one-line bash script which uses Imagemagick's import thing and saves a jpeg to my dropbox. Then mapped it to a key combo. Take that proprietary software, replicated in one line. This is the source of my pride. I know it's no big deal, yet at the same time.. I made that :D

So... do people here play games on Linux (emulated (I know fromt he podcast that Mike likes Frontier and NES games of course), Wine, native, whatever)? What's good?

I'm currently replaying a few loved games via Wine. Right now: King's Bounty: Armored Princess: Crossworlds. Which is a ridiculous name even by FOSS standards.

I'd recommend the King's Bounty games to anyone who likes the convergence of thinking and fun. They're like a cross between the old Heroes of Might and Magic games (or indeed the original King's Bounty game) and FUN. They have this absurd, self-aware sense of humour which beats anything else I've seen in games. And they're magnificently camp with it.

I just got a my pet dragon in KB:AP:C and named it in honour of he to whom we owe so much. I'm sure he'd approve of my playing Windows games in Wine.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/132841/2011-10-22_050626_033610742.jpg

Aside from that I've played (in Wine) a bit of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (which actually works better than in Windows 7, where compatibility with trainer apps was broken). And Oblivion and Morrowind. And Civilization IV.

I also have all the Humble Bundle games installed. Of those I very strongly recommend VVVVVV, which is a masterpiece of an insane platformer (I don't like platformers usually, but this is something special. It takes an 8-bit, C64-like aesthetic and deconstructs it to all **** and back). Machinarium is also superb, a beautiful, subtle, clever point and click adventure game. World of Goo is... alright. If you like games and have never played it then it's worth a pop. Overrated like crazy though. Oh and there's always Minecraft. Minecrack indeed.

As for Free games, I love Nethack of course. Though I'm loathe to start it up, knowing how many hours it'll consume. Battle of Wesnoth is a pretty good turn-based kinda light strategy game.

So what else is good, especially GPLed stuff and also classics-I-may-have-missed?
Spangwiches

Return to Discussion