Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reinstalling Windows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
Wont work, if I understand you correctly you currently don't have a PC with Windows installed.

That's correct.

Will it work if I reboot with XP install disk in drive first?
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word no. XP needs to be installed to the hard drive before any of that would work.

Try making a copy of the CD, there is no protection on it so if it fails it's either because the CD is unreadable or you have a faulty CD/DVD drive.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be getting somewhere with this...

I've managed to get to the Partition part of the Windows XP install. This is how it appears approx:

Partition 1. 11100 MB (11099 MB free)
" 3. 320445 MB (320444 MB free)
" 4. 5922 MB ( 5922 MB free)
" 2. 5930 MB (5930 MB free)

When I boot up normally I can see 8.04 Ubuntu LTS and 11.04, which I currently use. I don't have a clue which of the above 4 partitions is which. I want to keep 11.04 and install Windows XP. Which of the above can I safely delete/install XP on? 4/2?

I'm aware I haven't given you a lot to go on here, but hope it makes sense to someone.
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of this thread revolves around the make-up and validity of this XP CD.
I purchased such a CD (via ebay) from a German provider.
The CD successfully installed XP, which then passed the validity checks from M'soft.
I understand these particular XP licences are in some way being 'recycled' - but they seem genuine.

My advice is to concentrate on that CD reader - it may well be giving problems, as has been suggested.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandnsmith wrote:
A lot of this thread revolves around the make-up and validity of this XP CD.
I purchased such a CD (via ebay) from a German provider.
The CD successfully installed XP, which then passed the validity checks from M'soft.
I understand these particular XP licences are in some way being 'recycled' - but they seem genuine.

My advice is to concentrate on that CD reader - it may well be giving problems, as has been suggested.

Thanks, dandnssmith. I hope that the problem has now been resolved with a new disk having been sent to me. My issue now is with which part to partition?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to install Windows XP and I also have Ubuntu 11.04, now.

I have made a mess of the partition but have been able to salvage my previous account but not my girlfriends on 11.04? Also I can't get XP to recognize my BT home Hub so I have to use Ubuntu to go online, I can't activate XP, does anyone have any ideas what I can do, please?
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of activating online phone them up, it's a free phone number.

You will have to key in the activation code and will receive 25 charactor alphanumeric license key in return.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram wrote:

You will have to key in the activation code and will receive 25 charactor alphanumeric license key in return.

The service just asks for the 6 digit group of codes you have to enter, you have to access those online and then call with the codes, Ram.

I entered;

c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe /a in Start then Run as I have been shown by the seller of the disk. I received this message when I entered the command:

\oobe refers to a location that is unavailable, it could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Please make sure the disk is properly inserted (?) or that you are connected to the internet.

Any ideas? Like I say I have the activation code/product key but cannot get online to get the 6 digit code group that I need to activate.
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phone number for an activation code was 0800 0188354 last year some time
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
Ram wrote:

The service just asks for the 6 digit group of codes you have to enter, you have to access those online and then call with the codes, Ram.

I entered;

c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe /a in Start then Run as I have been shown by the seller of the disk. I received this message when I entered the command:

\oobe refers to a location that is unavailable, it could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Please make sure the disk is properly inserted (?) or that you are connected to the internet.

Any ideas? Like I say I have the activation code/product key but cannot get online to get the 6 digit code group that I need to activate.

Select the radio button to do it online, click next.

You should get something like this image

http://www.tipandtrick.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/activation-wizard-product-key.jpg

Click Telephone

dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TheWizardofOdds"]
Ram wrote:

I entered;

I just checked on an XP system - that path is correct.
Have you tried navigating through the path using Windows Explore, just to check. (for me, it isn't C: as my disk is differently organised, with an install of Win98 in C: and XP in D:, where the msoobe.exe resides)

HTH
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
The phone number for an activation code was 0800 0188354 last year some time

Thanks, I called that number but I have first to go online to obtain some code that I then enter via telephone. Problem is I can't get XP to recognise my internet connection.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked on the Windows activation bubble and went through the process and this time I have activated Windows successfully. I still cannot access the Internet. This is the message I receive:

Windows could not detect any wired or wireless network cards installed on your machine, please make sure the network card drivers are installed properly.

Also if I have a dial-up connection to contact my ISP provider.

Is it a problem with Drivers?
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
I clicked on the Windows activation bubble and went through the process and this time I have activated Windows successfully. I still cannot access the Internet. This is the message I receive:

Windows could not detect any wired or wireless network cards installed on your machine, please make sure the network card drivers are installed properly.

Yes, by default XP does not have any drivers for network cards.
If you have a driver disk for the card use that to install the drivers or while in linux download them from the cards makers site, save then to a location that XP can access.

TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
TheWizardofOdds wrote:

Yes, by default XP does not have any drivers for network cards.
If you have a driver disk for the card use that to install the drivers or while in linux download them from the cards makers site, save then to a location that XP can access.

I don't have any disks that came with the PC when I bought it (Lesson learned).

According to the seller it is a LAN card that I need. I went to Maplin's and
spoke to a helpful employee who said that I should download drivers for the motherboard for my PC and save to a pen drive then upload to XP. I use an HP PC which came with Vista can you get drivers for a retro distro like XP?( Not on the HP website, only Vista n 7).

Goddamn this is stretching my tiny mind. Laughing

How do I find out what motherboard is in my PC?

Thanks.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: