Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can any wi-fi card acts as an AP?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvonh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Can any wi-fi card acts as an AP? Reply with quote

I have found an 'ADD-GWP110' wifi card in my box of bits. I remember this working fine as a 'client' for my home wifi a few years back. My question is whether I would be able to rig this to operate as an access point, and if so, whether there's anything special I need to know. For example: do Access Point thingies need special harware to cope with multiple-simultaneous connections/channels or whatever.

I hope this is isn't too dumb a question - I tend to bottom-out on rewiring a toaster...!

Any top tips very welcome.

James
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My, possibly simple minded, view of this project is that you need to think about the software on the PC in which you install the card.
You'll need routing, DHCP server, firewall setup at the very least (but you could get away with the DHCP as long as you have somewhere which can handle DHCP requests from clients).

I think you'll also need to work out the authentication bits (about which I haven't a clue at this moment).
kvonh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Derek. A little googling revealed that one needs a card that supports 'master mode' - and my one doesn't. So that card is back in the bottomless box of bits for the time being. Your comments about DHCP/routing/firewalling/encryption are all duly noted though!
Cheers
James
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: