Unity

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby nordle » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:43 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Moved our netbooks to 11.10, no pain. :)

I've been using GUIs since Mac OS 7, windows 3.11, Linux from KDE2 on Caldera, went through KDE3, 3.5 with Suse OK, lost it with KDE4. Moved to Gnome 2 on Ubuntu, but I have never taken to a desktop as easily as I have adjusted to Unity.

Just to come back and say I've moved from XFCE (xubuntu) to Unity and Ubuntu 11.10 on desktop permanently now and agree with everything Wyliecoyoteuk has said. Really enjoying using / exploring Unity. Within a couple of days I was making use of its features and ways of doing stuff.

I did install Kubuntu and KDE 4.7, but after 20 minutes it was clear we weren't going to get on, so installed Ubuntu 11.10 from scratch.

I did have this bug though, where half the screen is covered by an opaque orange square that doesn't dissappear unless a particular set of events is triggered. Or a logoff.
Makes using the desktop difficult. Have not tried the workaround.
I've not had to "workaround" anything for years :)

Other than that, the Unity / Gnome / Ubuntu guys have (imho) done a top job!

EDIT: Actually, just installed Mint 12 as I needed to talk through something on the phone and it would be easier to see what it is they are talking about......too much info. Anyway, 12 was released today (didn't realise). First impressions, very impressive. Can see a lot of Ubuntu users potentially moving to Mint 12.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:57 am

I had that problem, which is actually the "snap-to" guide, showing you that the window will be "snapped" to the edge of the screen. It should disappear if you move the window away from the edge.I also had an issue where, when maximising windows, they went blank.
It is a problem with the latest nvidia drivers and compiz. I downgraded my nvidia drivers to 173 and both faults went away.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Utter garbage.

Just updated to 11.10 and got presented with this hideous pile of poo.

What audience is this aimed at? 5 year olds graduating from their V-Tech first computers? It makes the whole damn thing look like GCompris.

I want bog standard Gnome back :-(
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:09 pm

Well, after struggling with Unity for a couple of days, I have now switched to XFCE.

What a difference.

It actually responds when I do anything, as opposed to the 4-5 second pause while Unity tried to get its ass in gear.

Unity: Big pile of bloat, IMHO.
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Actually, Unity is perfectly responsive for me, even on an Atom based 1.6ghz netbook with 1.5gb ram.
Nice, quick, easy to use.
So what are you doing wrong?
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby linuxfanatik » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Specialstuff - I rather like OpenSUSE with the 3.2 version of Gnome - however, if you have problems with it you are better off with OpenSUSE using the KDE Desktop as it extends more 'love' to that desktop than it does to Gnome - even though OpenSUSE was the first to present Gnome 3 to the general public! Tnhe 12.1 version of OpenSUSE should be out about now with a new update of KDE with some interesting applications such as Instant Messaging which might be good for twitter and other social forums too. Try it - I think you'll like it, as it is more intuitive than it was when it was just re-born from KDE 3.5! ;)
Linuxfanatik

Non sibi sed omnibus - Not for oneself but for all
linuxfanatik

Postby Rhakios » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:30 am

OpenSUSE also works very nicely with XFCE, support for which seems a lot better in 12.1 than in previous iterations I've tried (posted from laptop running openSUSE12.1, with XFCE).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby SpecialStuff » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:32 am

linuxfanatik wrote:Specialstuff - I rather like OpenSUSE with the 3.2 version of Gnome - however, if you have problems with it you are better off with OpenSUSE using the KDE Desktop as it extends more 'love' to that desktop than it does to Gnome - even though OpenSUSE was the first to present Gnome 3 to the general public! Tnhe 12.1 version of OpenSUSE should be out about now with a new update of KDE with some interesting applications such as Instant Messaging which might be good for twitter and other social forums too. Try it - I think you'll like it, as it is more intuitive than it was when it was just re-born from KDE 3.5! ;)

No, I never had any problems at all with openSUSE Gnome 3. Rather, I really love it.

I've just spent the last, what, 6 weeks distro hopping, which is not something I like to indulge in too much as it can send you insane after a while. But I do like to try new things and try them out properly. I had a very positive experience with Unity, but again the bugs pop in with Ubuntu to ruin things. Lots of problems with memory and Compiz, desktop crashes, and Plymouth...urgh. But that didn't matter as I decided to go back to openSUSE and Gnome 3. I just prefer the distro overall, and Gnome 3 is just better than Unity imho.

I did use openSUSE KDE for a while and loved it, but Gnome is home for me. I admit a love for KDE4 as well, so for my other Linux partition I always pick KDE, and decided on Kubuntu 11.10, as having two openSUSE installs on the same drive would be silly. Personally though, having used both versions I feel that openSUSE is just as strong in either Gnome 3 or KDE4 flavours. I don't feel any one is less than the other. It's just personal preference that divides them. Imho. ;)
SpecialStuff

Postby AndyBaxman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:32 am

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Actually, Unity is perfectly responsive for me, even on an Atom based 1.6ghz netbook with 1.5gb ram.
Nice, quick, easy to use.
So what are you doing wrong?

I clicked the button marked "Upgrade", unfortunately.
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:54 am

AndyBaxman wrote:
I clicked the button marked "Upgrade", unfortunately.

So did I, and it all works fine. :)

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Decided to give Unity another try..

Nope still not for me.. Although it is alot better that it was originally..

I can see where tehy are coming from with it.. However it needs much more polish and config tools for users to mess with.. I.e being able to move the apps bar, configure lenses, ability to turn on/off the single menu etc..

its ok on a net book or small screen, but useless (imho) on anything larger than 14inch.

Also retried Gnome 3.2, and this is getting alot better, listening to the users more than Canonical...

both DE's could be very good, BUT they both need to listen to users and give users the options to tweak, change and set them up how they want them..

Basically how we have been able to do for years...
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:So did I, and it all works fine. :)

LIES!
Can't mute sound for logon. Asks for password when connecting to wifi, asks for password to connect to gnome keys or something. Grrr

And I agree with reklan, unity if great on my netbook, rubbish on larger screens.
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:47 pm

I switched from KDE(7yrs) to XFCE(4yrs) to Unity. Others hate Unity and have switched to XFCE.

If there is one thing that we can all agree on (maybe), it's that Unity has to be the most ironic name for a piece of software since Microsoft Works.

:)
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:26 am

Well, built a new PC. The old one was practically unusable after I "upgraded" to Ubuntu 11.10.

Picked up a cheap "bundle" with a Phenom triple core. Now runs smoothly under Unity 3D.....

But.....

I still absolutely hate Unity.

Looks pretty, but is, IMHO, unintuitive, dumbed down, feature poor, with severely limited customisation and settings options.
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby ukshred » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:58 am

Seen it, but I have not used it, my brother has it on his ubuntu laptop and he seems happy with it. Personally I'm sticking to kde / gnome on my desktop, and on my laptop I've got it running lubuntu with lxde (its a 1.1ghz Athlon with 768mb ram) and lubuntu works quite nicely. With icewm it works even better.
ukshred

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion