Android Apps

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Android Apps

Postby Rhakios » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:45 pm

I don't think we have a Android apps thread yet, so here is one if you want one.
I've just been giving LHSee (all about the LHC, see?) a spin on my tablet, it's quite educational and a little bit fun too. I haven't had a chance to work through all of it yet, but I'm hoping there's an Easter Egg where a collision event generates a black hole and everything on-screen gets swallowed up. Or have I just got too much of a sick sense of humour?*

*You don't need to answer that.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby leke » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:56 am

Cool idea Rhakios. I don't get to personally use my tablet much as the kids seemed to have claimed it -- or as they call it, the finger computer.
As soon as I find where they keep it, I'll post some of the games they like most and a couple of apps I like.
leke
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:03 pm

If the Android tablet is a "finger computer" is the iPad a "give you the finger computer"? :lol:
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 17.1 MATE and Win7

HP mini, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 17 MATE
heiowge
LXF regular

Re: Android Apps

Postby leke » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Ok, so a developer called Intellijoy has a wide range of educational games for children. The games are really well designed and the free versions are highly usable.

Playing with chord progressions: Chordbot lite.

Tools for electronics enthusiasts: ElectroDroid.

Network scanning: Overlook Fing
leke
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:38 pm

IF and/or when will /dev/dsp be available for the platform?

No good if I can't get access to it, (or alternatively /dev/audio)...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Bazza wrote:IF and/or when will /dev/dsp be available for the platform?

My Transformer has a /dev/dsp_fn34
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Android Games

Postby Gordon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:58 pm

If you like some of the older classic games such as Money Island 1,2,3 then there is a version of scummvm for android 3.2. I've tried it on my Motorola Xoom and it works great once you get used to the controls and have the relevant game data loaded onto your system :D
Gordon
LXF regular

Re: Android Games

Postby Ram » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Gordon wrote:If you like some of the older classic games such as Money Island 1,2,3 then there is a version of scummvm for android 3.2. I've tried it on my Motorola Xoom and it works great once you get used to the controls and have the relevant game data loaded onto your system :D

I see you're a Yorkshireman but the game was called Monkey Island ;)

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Bad spelling

Postby Gordon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:24 am

My bad, Monkey Island it is then :D
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby BernardII » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:22 am

I am having trouble with the installation of The Curse of Monkey Island.

Any download instruction will be appreciated.. :)
BernardII

Curse Of Monkey Island on Android

Postby Gordon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:29 pm

You don't download COMI (Curse Of Monkey Island).

You need to install the scummvm app on your android device.

Then you need to copy the data files for COMI from the original windows game discs to a suitable place on your Android device's storage.

Next you need to fire up scummvm and click 'Add Game'.

After this use the file selection box in scummvm and point it to the directory where the COMI data files are located and then click on 'Choose' in scummvm.

TIPS

In the directory where you stored the COMI data files you also need to create a directory called 'resource' (without the quotes) and copy over the resource files from the original game discs to this directory.

Try the above procedures on a PC first to get the hang of what your doing. Scummvm is available for both windows and Linux, just go to http://www.scummvm.org/ for the PC version.
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby guy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:30 pm

Why is this thread in "Other OS"? This site isn't called GNU/Linux Format.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:12 pm

guy wrote:Why is this thread in "Other OS"? This site isn't called GNU/Linux Format.

Perhaps with Android being accepted back into the kernel fold, it's becoming a little more linuxy again, but so what. If you want to read about Android, there's a magazine for that. ;)

I tell you what, you get Google to call it Linux/Android in their press releases (or even Android/Linux) and I'll move this thread out of Other OS. :D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby guy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Rhakios wrote:If you want to read about Android, there's a magazine for that.

Last time I looked, if you wanted to read about Ubuntu there was a magazine for that too.

I tell you what, you get Google to call it Linux/Android in their press releases (or even Android/Linux) and I'll move this thread out of Other OS. :D

Well, if you can get Linus Torvalds to refer to his desktop distro as GNU/Linux, then I might take your offer a little more seriously :P
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:05 pm

guy wrote:Well, if you can get Linus Torvalds to refer to his desktop distro as GNU/Linux, then I might take your offer a little more seriously :P
Now then now then girls and boys, this thread might go down hill from here on ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Next

Return to Other OS