Basically, what do people recommend for a good value (web|email|etc.) hosting solution?
I'm planning on creating a website (or three) and am looking mainly for good value for money; fairly decent quality (not so much tech support, I enjoy a challenge
) and typical LAMP-type features. One site will be a "personal" site (blog, links, maybe photos etc.) and the other site(s?) more general-purpose (Linux, programming, computer related). The personal site would be low-traffic I suspect, but the other one more traffic (downloads, software I've written etc.)
What I've considered so far:
- well known, advertised in the mag, a bit expensive?
- seems reasonable value, but limiting expansion (only 10 domains max per account for "Bulk")?
* Heart internet
- seems reasonable value, but might limit software downloads etc. see: (T&C point 23.2
) so maybe unsuitable? I know someone who uses them, that's why I've mentioned them.
- seems good value (assuming approx $2 = Â£1), features and hence expandability? I know someone who uses them and seems happy.
* Host with 110mb
(free) and buy domains elsewhere, and point them here. But limited traffic, noticeable downtime etc?
* I'd be happy to buy domains from one place and host elsewhere etc.
To start with, I doubt I'll be slashdotted, but I would prefer the ability to grow without suddenly spiraling costs! Since it's not going to be mission critical, for now I'm more interested in 1. value 2. features (nothing too demanding - php, mysql, email etc.) and not so much support etc. (as long as it's reasonable and not constant errors, timeouts downtime etc.
What would people recommend?