I'm unemployed. Any ideas?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

I'm unemployed. Any ideas?

Postby leke » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:59 pm

I lost my job as a software tester a couple of months ago, but have yet still to find employment in a field I want to work in.

As I love computers, a friend suggested I try the local computer recycle company (I would be taking computers apart for recycling). This was a great idea and something I would totally go for. I sent them an open application about 5 days ago.

I was wondering if anyone had any other cool ideas (related to computers) like this one? Maybe something you have even done in the past. If it helps, I have a HND in Graphic design (I'm really bad at it though) and a keen interest in programming.

Thanks.
leke
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:10 pm

No specific ideas but people looking for programmers often mail our local LUG and word of mouth is often better than formal adverts for finding jobs you may be interested in.
johnhudson
LXF regular

I´m unemployed, any ideas?

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Good luck Leke.

Best

David
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Maybe do something for your local charity / volunteer group. Church, or similar.

Set them up a PC, a website etc

That can get word round quite quick......the tricky part is then not getting dragged into hours and hours of unpaid work.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby leke » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:53 pm

nordle wrote:Maybe do something for your local charity / volunteer group. Church, or similar.

Set them up a PC, a website etc

That can get word round quite quick......the tricky part is then not getting dragged into hours and hours of unpaid work.

Yeah, I emailed the Red Cross last week volunteering my services. They said they were circulating my email around the town.
I also emailed a game design company today. I thought they might require a tester. I actually did some game testing for Psygnosis back in the 90s :D
leke
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:36 am

leke wrote:I actually did some game testing for Psygnosis back in the 90s :D

Cool! What did you test?

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby leke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:07 pm

M-Saunders wrote:
leke wrote:I actually did some game testing for Psygnosis back in the 90s :D

Cool! What did you test?

M
I did 5 weeks work training on a game called Psybadek. I had a job interview there towards the end, but didn't get it due to lack of PC experience (I had only ever used Macs and DTP software at the time). It was a lot of fun though. I still have some of the original design artwork 8)
leke
LXF regular

Postby donoreo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:11 pm

leke wrote:
nordle wrote:I also emailed a game design company today. I thought they might require a tester. I actually did some game testing for Psygnosis back in the 90s :D
You did not happen to know a Stuart Wheeler did you? I worked with him here in Toronto very recently and he was there in the 90's
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby leke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:45 pm

donoreo wrote:You did not happen to know a Stuart Wheeler did you? I worked with him here in Toronto very recently and he was there in the 90's

I can't really remember any names, but according to Linkedin, he worked in the Stroud office. I was in Wavertree tech park office in Liverpool.
leke
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:13 pm

I visited the Liverpool office in the late 90s, to demonstrate a game port for the programmers.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ajackson » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:32 am

Here are some tips:
Maintain a positive outlook; stay open to possibilities; take advantage of the extra time; remember that social connections are your biggest resource.
Good luck!
ajackson

Postby leke » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:46 am

Update: I've gotten involved in the local Red cross and have been showing them how to use their regional part of the CMS the national part uses. I'm also their tech guy now :lol:
They had an unused site and I've set up a personalised wordpress theme for them to blog their events. Wordpress is pretty cool and I've started to learn it with the free time I have. I might even be able to offer it as a service to to others at some point.
leke
LXF regular

Re: I'm unemployed. Any ideas?

Postby Weatherlawyer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:55 pm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:59 pm Post subject: I'm unemployed. Any ideas?

Either I have deja vu all over again or your computer has Monday Morning Sickness.

leke wrote:As I love computers, a friend suggested I try the local computer recycle company (I would be taking computers apart for recycling). This was a great idea and something I would totally go for. I sent them an open application about 5 days ago.

At the moment they take dolies referred to them by quangos who also arrange to help you with your CV. This consists of you writing down all your personal details on one of their 10 yr old XP LAN only connected therefore immune to spyware boxes for the tutor to go through later.

Or the next person on the list.

But it's OK they only put the password on a whiteboard not on paper where anyone else might see it.
I was wondering if anyone had any other cool ideas (related to computers) like this one?

How about signing up to one of those places and then get a dole money only job with them writing a security check?

If it helps, I have a HND in Graphic design (I'm really bad at it though) and a keen interest in programming.

Depending on how bad you are at programming of course.

Fancy having a stab at rewriting geophysics, something along the lines of an Anglo Saxon/Celtic version of Relativity?

I always fancied my hobby as restoring Newton to his rightful aegis and getting rid of the pretence of that ne'er do well Einstein.
I would very much like to be nice. If this is not your day, I am sorry about that.
Weatherlawyer

Postby ScannerDarkly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:46 pm

I was fairly young when I was unemployed, about 18-19 for a whole year. Went to the worst school in the country as far as GCSE results go, didn't really know what I was doing for the following 3 years.

Spent the year in the library and buying second hand books on Linux/computer/programming-related stuff, but also brushed up on my non-existent maths, starting reading literature classics, dabbled with a bit of Latin and other languages (see Esperanto), wrote a blog reviewing books and films, just kept my mind 'sharp'. Went into an FE college, scored 100% throughout my courses, Cambridge sneered at my past, but I got into another uni anyway.

Whilst you may not want to enter into education, I can fully recommend libraries, books, etc.. even if they're books on the art of cooking!... The building of knowledge I think really helps to put your mind in the right place, whether this leads into employment, well, at least you have the mind with the confidence to arm yourself with... and if an employer can only see a gap in your CV, you can tell him you've done all the self education.
Linux since Ubuntu 6.06.
ScannerDarkly

Postby leke » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks for sharing ScannerDarkly. Actually, I applied to Uni last week for the IT in Business course. I hope I get on the course because the job situation is still a bit grim over here.
I too always try to stay sharp and frequently branch outside programming and Linux. I was also learning Esperanto a little while back, but have switched to Dutch because I'm interested in country and would like to holiday there someday.
Family life takes it's toll a little. If you're at home a lot, the kids and misses distract me too much. I tried spending a couple of hours a day at the library, but I feel kind of uncomfortable in those places - maybe like some people don't like hospitals :D
leke
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic