Windows 8

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Windows 8

Postby Rhakios » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Seeing as Microsoft have been good enough to release a public beta, I decided to give it a go. It seems to work and isn't too bad on a VM with 2GB of ram.
The new interface is a bit weird and the whole thing seems like two disparate things (a touch screen interface and the old style desktop) bolted together. It seems they want you to have a Windows Live ID just to use the thing now as well, though I'm not too sure it's actually compulsory.
Having suffered years of mockery for putting shut-down behind a menu labelled Start, they have now decided to fix that by making it really hard to find. I believe the idea is that new machines with Windows 8 pre-installed will use the physical off switch. Still, nothing so simple should be so hard to find (I had to FWSE for it).
Configuring some of the demo apps looks to be pretty difficult too, I can't see how to change the weather widget from F to degrees C, ho hum. Asking me to tap to decide what happens when I insert a CD also indicates where they are heading, even though I was in the desktop view at the time.
Testing will continue.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby guy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Some of my work colleagues have been playing too. Couldn't see a nice word in the whole day's discussion.

Apparently you have to RTFM before you can find out how to close an app. And if you leave too many open, when you open a new one the longest-used one closes silently. I tend to have pretty busy views onto my stuff that that take a while to set up, so I have no plans for a drive; test or any other kind.

Elsewhere we see a tentative 65% growth in Linux desktops over 9 months. Can't imagine why.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Vista reborn :)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Just had a good old-fashioned lock up while trying to play some music...
...still, it's a beta, one can't expect something as radical as playing an mp3 to work OOTB.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby lok1950 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:58 am

Read a M$ puff piece several months back where they asserted that the new OS would be more touch/tablet friendly :roll: so it seems they have succeeded in following the rest of the lemmings :) and also lost normal desktop functionality.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:09 am

But M$ has never innovated, just been really good at marketing ideas stolen from others.

I expect they will succeed with Windows 8 and, if not, as with Vista, Windows 9 will be rushed out to put right the mistakes in Windows 8.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:05 am

lok1950 wrote: OS would be more touch/tablet friendly

Yes cos clearly we are all going to have touch screen computers cos that is the way forward and no one wants to use a mouse and keyboard, what ancient technologies they are! We need "new" and "innovative" ideas!
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Makes Unity look almost professional
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:34 pm

AndyBaxman wrote:Makes Unity look almost professional

True enough, I'm trying out the latest Ubuntu beta as well (it actually plays mp3s without locking up). While I still don't like Unity, at least the interface is fairly consistent, it hangs together pretty well as long as you don't stray too far from the default programs. Whereas, apart from the widgets that come with Windows 8, almost everything else drops you back to a traditional-looking desktop, except that the desktop doesn't have some of the features one is used to, like a program menu. Perhaps they could call it Windows Chimera, or more likely, Frankenstein's Monster. :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Brian Hunter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 pm

I suspect that they will be pushing a Kinect like device for desktops to allow gesture/voice control of Windows 8.

Presuming that people will have touch screen PCs in the future would be mental, even for Microsoft. Especially when they have an impressive bit of technology like Kinect, which they are helping business develop using the technology.
Brian Hunter

Re: Windows 8

Postby Nuke » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Rhakios wrote: I can't see how to change the weather widget from F to degrees C, ho hum.

JFC, how long is it going to take for Fahrenheit to die? I know Windows is American, but back in about 1970 the temperature scale was chosen by the UK to be the first "Imperial to metric" transition, because it was so easy. 0 deg for ice, 100 deg for boiling water and 20 deg for a warm day in Celsius. Simple.

So anyone in the UK under their mid-60's was (supposedly) brought up with the Celsius standard. Yet the BBC still give Fahrenheit in their weather forecasts, last time I looked.

It is not as if the Fahrenheit scale were some traditional British thing like the yard : Fahrenheit was German, and frankly his scale was crazy.
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Offically the US is a metric country has been since the 70's it just didn't get accepted by the peeple :shock: no PR drive by the GOV at the time or since so the peeple ignore the rest of the world which is not a new thing :roll:

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Do you ask for points or font sizes to be converted to metric? Even so called 'metric' countries aren't fully metric.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Please, gentlefolk, this Other OS, not Off Topic.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: Windows 8

Postby Marrea » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Rhakios wrote:I can't see how to change the weather widget from F to degrees C, ho hum.

Hi Rhakios

I've been playing around with Windows 8 for a couple of days and I'm sure by now you will have discovered how to change F to C but if not …

With the Weather app open, hover your mouse over the bottom right-hand corner of the screen until the "Charms" bar appears (what an awful name !!). Select Settings, which will open up a Weather options bar. In that bar select Settings and under Units you can choose either F or C.

I've not had any problems playing mp3s in 8 but I do have it installed natively. Don't know if that makes a difference.

At the moment my main difficulty is trying to work out how to navigate my way around the o.s. :roll:
Marrea
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS