Have you benefited from open source software?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Have you benefited from open source software?

Postby kevanf1 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:59 pm

Have you benefited from open source software? If you are using Linux then the answer is a definite yes. If you are still using Windows ro Mac then you have probably still benefited from the open source community. Have you ever thought of giving something back? Well, I've wanted to for some time but I'm no programmer :cry: But today I finally got the opportunity :D I have an old Iomega parallel port Zip Drive. It would not work in Linux (Ubuntu/Kubuntu or SuSE. So, after some digging I found some details on setting it up. However, the details were rather scant and meant modprobing everytime I rebooted. So, with a bit of help from the community (Adam Sweet of Wolves LUG to be exact) I found out how to add the required driver at boot. Then I jotted down all the details and steps I had taken to get to my succesful outcome - a working Zip 250 drive under Ubuntu/Kubuntu (not tried SuSE yet). My next step was to post the HOW TO on the Ubuntu Linux forums. A few people had been asking how to carry out this operation and I've been able to deliver the goods. It's a good feeling and I'll hopefully be able to add other bits of help.

So, even if you are not a programmer you can still help. If you have got a piece of hardware running when others have had difficulty please, please post the details of it on the web.
kevanf1
LXF regular

RE: Have you benefited from open source software?

Postby jjmac » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:16 pm

>>
Then I jotted down all the details and steps ...
>>

Yaowww, who knows were that may led :)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby kevanf1 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:37 am

:) I just feel good with myself because I can finally start to give something back to the community. I can only hope to encourage others to do the same. I mean, it can be anything from programming to simply setting up a piece of hardware (like me). Or, how about writing a piece on using a given software program. Everything is useful to somebody.
kevanf1
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:41 am

Yes ... :), To day i installed a package called "privoxy". Which seems to be Sarges choice over the "juncbuster" package. I was really impressed with the the commented documentation sections in the config files. They use a repetative, but very clear style. It did make things much easier, as well as more pleasent.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby CJLL » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:09 pm

I've been paid[1] to write a few vbulletin hacks

[1] actually my ex gf was paid for the hack, I'm still waiting for the royalties :(
--
The reward for self love is sticky hands
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:02 pm

Have created the Karoshi project only because of Open Source....have saved my school around £85,000 in licenses, partner has saved his school around the £45,000 mark....we know have 15 schools and more coming, so giving back to the community is very very heart warming for me!! :D
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby kevanf1 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:48 pm

There's the magic word 'community'. If only the rest of the world could see what a caring sharing community the Linux world is :)
kevanf1
LXF regular

Postby Lejon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:24 pm

Lerning to write code, and use that knowlage to create something that other's use and give feedback on.
Is prolly the best choise I have ever made!

Sure it can be slow, and tricky at the begining.. But I asure you all it's worth it! Get coding!
I am the one you thought I was! Just not the way, you expected...
Lejon
LXF regular

Return to Discussion