Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dvd2usb as described on the DVD; problems!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olliegab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: dvd2usb as described on the DVD; problems! Reply with quote

I was trying to use the script 'dvd2usb.sh' as described on the DVD (and in the magazine). The idea is to make an existing ISO file (not located on the DVD, but on my HD) to an IMG file, and then copy it over to a USB stick.
When trying to execute the script nothing happens; and I don't get any error messages. If I try to click on the file icon from the GUI a windows appears but closes down again, in a fraction of a second....as if it tried to start but didn't managed.
I'm using Mint 12, 64 bit.

Any suggestions of what may have happened...or happens?

Cheers
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That script is only for converting the LXFDVD on which it resides to a USB-bootable image. If you want to make an existing ISO image USB-bootable, you need the isohybrid program from the syslinux package. Install syslinux and then run

Code:
isohybrid /path/to/file.iso

and it will convert the ISO imaqge in place, ready to be copied to a USB drive with dd.
olliegab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions!
I tried it but got the following messages:

isohybrid: Warning: more than 1024 cylinders: 3716
isohybrid: Not all BIOSes will be able to boot this device

and it didn't give me "solution". It doesn't state that it won't be able to work...or at least that's how I interpret it!
The ISO file is the Gentoo 12 DVD download, which is a fairly large file!

Or...?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a warning, not an error. It is not stating that the procedure failed, only that some older BIOSes cannot boot from such a device. Since this depends on the computer and not the ISO file, the only way to test it is to dd the file to a USB device an try it.

AFAIK the Gentoo discs are already hybrids, but running isohybrid again shouldn't do any harm.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: