Garmin Training Center equivalent for Linux?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Garmin Training Center equivalent for Linux?

Postby Mandelbrot » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Hello,

I bought the Linux Format beginners issue and have been playing around with the disc. I like the operating system and am seriously considering switching over to Linux as my main OS. I do have a question about peripherals though. I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS watch to log my miles running. I have done a couple of internet searches to find a linux version of the software for the Garmin Training Center.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Mandelbrot
"Your life is an occasion, rise to it."
- Mr. Magorium in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Mandelbrot

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:22 pm

IIRC Garmin doesn't like the concept of 'Open Source' so I doubt it has that app for Linux... However, you have the option of installing Win-OS in a "virtual machine" (for new users I'd recommend Virtualbox) on top of Linux, that allows you to run Win-specific programs. Another, much more difficult, option is to try Wine (a Win-OS emulator for Linux). Some reported success with Wine on several programs, but personally I've never succeeded to get any Win-OS program to work with Wine. (it's probably me though :P)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Apparently the Garmin Training Center will mostly work with wine, however this test report of quite old, so it might be worth trying it with wine before completely switching. Or as Dutch_Master says you could use virtualbox but you would need a cd/dvd to install windows from. A recovery disk probably won't work cos they are usually tied into the hardware of the laptop/pc.

You could always dual boot, using linux most of the time and then booting windows when you need it.

Also Dutch_Master: Wine Is Not an Emulator :roll:
Installing wine isn't hard, but getting things to work can be a little fiddly...
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:12 pm

I know :P Just wanna see how long it took for someone to mention that... :mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 am

trollolol. You're getting as bad as the fish! :D
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:25 am

I protest! Nothing is as bad as the fish, and being named in the same sentence is an outcry! :evil:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Return to Hardware