Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to pick a flatbed scanner?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohanM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: How to pick a flatbed scanner? Reply with quote

Linux (and Mac OS X for that matter) have been a wonderful experience since I made the switch from Windows, except when it comes to peripherals. It is difficult to make the right choice. I had little need of a scanner the past couple of years, that is until now.

I want to scan important personal documents (to have backups), 35 mm slides and photo negatives. This means I do not want the software to just support some basic features (like it sometimes does on Linux), but everything the scanner has to offer, just like it would on Windows. How to pick the right flatbed scanner? As an example for what I want to do with it and the price I am willing the pay for it, the HP Scanjet G3110 looks okay. Price is little over 100 (up to 140$).

Can you give me some advice? I use Ubuntu.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place to look is http://www.sane-project.org - the home of the Linux scanner drivers. Support for the HP model you mention is described as "Basic", look for something with the specs you need that has complete support.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current versions of hplip come with all the software you need; the only thing I am missing from my (very cheap) HP printer/scanner/copier is a slide holder.

So select an HP scanner with the hardware features you need and you will find the software waiting for you.

N.B When I bought the device seven years ago, these features were not available in hplip; they have been added since and greatly extended what I can do with the device.
JohanM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will have to expand my search. The scanners on sale at 2 webshops I previously used don't go beyond basic support by SANE.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind coughing up some money, then using Hamrick's Vuescan expands the range of scanners that are supported, together with a very feature rich interface. I quite like the fact that the license allows you to install the software on up to four computers, so it's a bit less like being in a straight-jacket.
I seem to recall that it also got a decent write-up in the magazine.
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhudson wrote:
The current versions of hplip come with all the software you need; the only thing I am missing from my (very cheap) HP printer/scanner/copier is a slide holder.

So select an HP scanner with the hardware features you need and you will find the software waiting for you.

N.B When I bought the device seven years ago, these features were not available in hplip; they have been added since and greatly extended what I can do with the device.

I totally agree with this comment.

I have a very cheap HP Deskjet 2180 all-in-one, about 3 yrs old or more, which works brilliantly with the standard repository version of hplip in my ubuntu 10.04.

In fact I find xsane along with the hplip printer driver software much better than anything I remember from my days in WinXP, though it was a long time ago, and things have probably moved on in the MS world.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohanM wrote:
Will have to expand my search. The scanners on sale at 2 webshops I previously used don't go beyond basic support by SANE.

hplip uses the SANE backends; you cannot use the scanner software without SANE installed.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: