Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SUGGESTION] Coding tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denham2010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: [SUGGESTION] Coding tutorial Reply with quote

Hi,

I just wanted to suggest a possible coding tutorial for a future issue. It would fit in perfectly in the regular python section.

In this day and age of multitouch devices, the forth coming Plasma Active tablet (which is going to be unlocked - ie ability to replace os with your distro of choice) and the ongoing merger of android into upstream, along with current market devices (I am using an acer iconia tab w (read windows) series with which I have deleted windows and am running 100% native Arch Linux), I think a multitouch programming tutorial would be beneficial.

KDE is slowly gaining multitouch through Qt, Gtk is another issue (I believe no multitouch until gtk4).

I would suggest Kivy http://kivy.org. Kivy is programmed using python2 and is cross platform (apps can be built for windows, osx, ios, android and linux).

It would appear to be the only current multitouch toolkit that is available on the vast majority of platforms.

Since multitouch is becoming a very common input medium, and the current lack of mt support in the mainstream gui toolkits, I really think linux needs to 'keep up with the pack' if we want to see more mainstream distros on more devices.

Kivy fits this bill right now. Lets get programming and bring a suite of mt apps to linux. I am already working on some ideas which will at least be packaged for Arch, but the source will be available for others to package as they see fit.

Cheers.
leke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Python programming coated in the Kivy description language.
First impressions look nice.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: