Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accountancy software recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tophee

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Accountancy software recommendations Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with an issue.

I've just started a small business and ideally would like to have open source accountancy software that works and observes the proper standards. I am doing this legit - Company number, VAT registered (am a Limited company) and will have employees (eventually). So, it needs to do the business as it were: Invocing, payrole, tax returns, etc.

Had a quick search around this morning and didn't find anything very recent. Can anyone recommend me a package to explore? Most reviews online seem quite dated.

I know that many small businesses use Sage which doesn't run on linux and isn't cheap. Especially as would have to go back to windows, which I don't want. Ideally it'd be able to work with some sort of cloud storage as my partner and I want a virtual office.

Any suggestions, thoughts or wild conjecture greatfully recieved. Actually wild conjecture won't be... but everything else.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by tophee on Tue May 01, 2012 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
pastychomper

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnucash is one of the older projects out there, but still going strong and the only one I've used in anger (unless you count Gnumeric et al Wink ). I can heartily recommend it for individual use and it looks to me like it would fit the bill for a small business. At least, it has invoicing, a payroll module and some kind of tax support, but I've never used those features so this probably counts as, at least, feral conjecture.
tophee

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pastychomper - Thanks for that. Gnucash was one of the names I turned up, but I couldn't find any recent comments about it.

I'll install it onto my ubuntu box later and see how it looks.

Anyone else... ?
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used homebank for my personal finances. It's not suited for business though.....maybe thats unfair, have a look and see.

Also.
I have installed this, but didn't require all its features.
http://www.linuxcanada.com/quasar.shtml

No experiencing of these.
http://www.sql-ledger.com/

http://www.ledgersmb.org/

http://www.linuxledgers.com/
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnucash is part of the furniture. It possesses a wide range of options, including payroll management, that should be more than enough for any small business but the learning curve is a bit steeper than other applications.

I recommended it to a Windows user with imited computer experience and she is detighted with it as it has all the sophisticated things she wants built in - unlike all the other options she looked at.
tophee

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your replies... I didn't get much chance to get near a computer, so apologies for the late response. But I'll explore GnuCash first.

Much appreciated.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: