Windows XP low memory

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Windows XP low memory

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm

I have quite recently installed Windows XP alongside Ubuntu 11.10 on my Desktop so that I can use iTunes.

When I boot up XP it tells me that I am low on memory on j Drive. I think I have only 10 GB in total for XP the PC has a 320GB Hard Drive approx.so it's not like I don't have the space somewhere.

I have very few programs on XP just the bare minimum, so I can't really delete too much to make space without affecting the performance.

What I'd like to do is install Ubuntu 12.04 as it's LTS and stick with it instead of continually upgrading every six months. Normally I upgrade from the Update Manager to the next version. Is this what is creating a space issue? Should I do a fresh install of 12.04 from a disk and partition with XP to create space for both?

I know this is a bit vague, I'm winging it when it comes to computers and learning all the time but this is a bit beyond me (believe me, I done well just installing XP). I just want to be able to run both with no problems.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Tue May 01, 2012 4:20 pm

XP install isn't that big. 10GB is loads. I used to cram it on a 2GB SSD with Office 2003 and it still only took up 1.4GB. I also used something called nlite to slim XP down to a bare 250ish MB installed size by removing some of the cruft they jam with it.

On another note, have you considered just installing XP as a virtual PC? Saves messing with dual boot. XP doesn't need much in the way of RAM, and if you've got it spare, it can be a good way of keeping things easy. Also if you get virused (with XP not being secure enough these days), you can just roll it back to a pre-virused state without having to reinstall everything. Plus sorting out GRUB after the reinstall can be a royal pain on a dual boot.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue May 01, 2012 5:21 pm

What is your J: drive?
Might it be a flash drive, a network share or an orphan partition?
Windows is normally installed on C:
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Wed May 02, 2012 1:16 pm

heiowge wrote:...On another note, have you considered just installing XP as a virtual PC?...

I cant find the installation disk so I'm stuck with what I have.

From what I can see iTunes takes up about 2GB, I can't figure out what takes up the rest because when I go into add/remove programs each program seems only to go up to 150 MB max there doesn't seem any obvious way to do a cull and make some room?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Wed May 02, 2012 1:22 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:What is your J: drive?
Might it be a flash drive, a network share or an orphan partition?
Windows is normally installed on C:

My XP is on J: drive. Not really sure why but it is.

When I check disk usage in Linux I have apparently something like 300GB free!

When I check the disk usage on Linux does it take the J: drive into consideration? Would it recognize it?

When I booted up yesterday I selected 'other Linux versions' and I seem to still have each version of Linux there, can these be deleted? Would it make any difference?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Wed May 02, 2012 5:30 pm

In XP goto my computer, what does it say is the free space. May need to change view to details.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Wed May 02, 2012 7:40 pm

Though the initial XP install is small, its undisciplined handling of updates means that it now takes up nearly 10 Gb of the 17Gb drive on which I have it and I have recently begun to get low memory messages because Windows uses the hard dive for swap.

My guess is that, if you have updated XP, it will have eaten more space and, together with your apps, there is now too little room for it to be comfortable using the remaining hard drive space for swap.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Thu May 03, 2012 9:28 am

go to www.piriform.com and get ccleaner.

This will help you delete all teh crap and temp files left behind (including all the installers for the updates that get left behind).

You will be suprise by the amount of crap it will clean for you.. It can also check the registry and cleam that as well.

been using it for years, and never had a problem. One of the best windows programs out there
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu May 03, 2012 10:18 pm

The free space thing is complicated.
There is "free space" on a drive, or "free space" on a partition.

Free space on a drive is unformatted, unused space outside of any partition.

Windows drives, for example your J:drive, are partitions, and free space within them is limited to the maximum size of that partition, minus the files stored on there.
Linux installs will be on separate partitions, so free space will be available space on that partition.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Ram wrote:In XP goto my computer, what does it say is the free space. May need to change view to details.

Free space was 322 MB, after downloading and running CCleaner it's now 800MB.
[/quote]
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Fri May 04, 2012 9:32 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:The free space thing is complicated.
There is "free space" on a drive, or "free space" on a partition.

Free space on a drive is unformatted, unused space outside of any partition.

Windows drives, for example your J:drive, are partitions, and free space within them is limited to the maximum size of that partition, minus the files stored on there.
Linux installs will be on separate partitions, so free space will be available space on that partition.

Can I increase the size of the partition?

What determines the size of the partition? I stumbled my way around installing XP, I don't remember having an option on the size of the partition.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Fri May 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Can anyone recommend a site or book perhaps that can help me get to grips with this dual booting thing?

I feel like just going back to basics and installing 12.04 fresh and formatting all the other versions of Linux that are floating around in my PC. I don't want to lose Windows however. If only for iTunes.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Fri May 04, 2012 11:09 pm

1 - always install Windows first - it likes to think it is the only OS in the worrld.
2 - select you favourite Linux distro and ask it to install; before it does so, it should tell you exactly what it plans to do.
3 - if it is not clear from what it puts up that it is going to retain Windows, abort and seek further advice. (Don't blindly say Yes.)

Nearly all distros use GRUB to handle the dual boot but there are two versions and they are not compatible. This does not matter if you have Windows and one Linux distro but it does if you have more than one Linux distro.

With XP you will have no problems; with Vista and Windows 7, you may encounter problems when Windows updates itself because it tends to overwrite the instructions to load GRUB. This usually means inserting a CD and restoring the code that loads GRUB.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat May 05, 2012 9:15 am

You can change the size of a partition using Parted, the disk utility in Ubuntu.
Thing is, if there are partitions either side of it, you would have to move or delete them before you can resize it.
Be careful, as it is always possible to mess things up.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Other OS