Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stealing a name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Stealing a name Reply with quote

So I am currently working on a project to administer email addresses, forwardings, domains, etc with Postfix, Dovecot and MySQL & PHP.

Now I am thinking that once finished I could release it as open source or at least provide a free download as others might find it useful and there doesn't seem to be anything like it at the moment

Now I was thinking about calling it (highly originally) phpMailAdmin, however there is already a project called that, but that hasn't seen movement since at least 2003, and any downloads I can find are broken. Is it acceptable/a good idea to steal this name for my project, or is it a better idea to call it something else?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Paradigm Shifter

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call it something else.

Aside from potential legal issues (should such arise) you'll avoid confusion on the part of the end-user. Smile
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on a different name. Or, if you want, contact the dev's of this app and ask them what they want: if they have no further interest in continuing their original app, you may be allowed to take over instead. Still leaves end-users in confusion though Wink (but you could solve that with an explanation on the project's webpage!)

OTOH, your question may spark a renewed interest from the dev's and you could contribute your code to the project... Idea
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stealing a name Reply with quote

bobthebob1234 wrote:

Now I was thinking about calling it (highly originally) phpMailAdmin, however there is already a project called that, but that hasn't seen movement since at least 2003, and any downloads I can find are broken. Is it acceptable/a good idea to steal this name for my project, or is it a better idea to call it something else?

Any ideas?

Cheers

These people have the right idea:-
http://youtu.be/gb_qHP7VaZE

phpAdmin4Mail
MailAdmin4php
The popular front of PHP Mail Admin
The PHP Mail Admin Popular Front
The People's PHP Mail Admin

Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought of joining or taking over the original project and breathing new life into it? Might get you some instant publicity and possibly even save you a pile of work.

Stealing will likely earn you enemies - no publicity is bad publicity, but how robust are your cyber defence skills?
sledgehammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the name have to be descriptive? I mean Firefox, Roundcube and Apache hardly describe their purpose.

Why not name yours after the author 'bobthebob' which can be shortened to a nice short command 'btb'

Regards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: