Laptop recommendations

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Laptop recommendations

Postby pk_fox » Fri May 04, 2012 9:22 am

Title says it really, my faithful old Dell Inspiron 9200 is on its last legs so I need a replacement. The only caveat is it must play well with Fedora
User avatar
pk_fox
LXF regular
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:38 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Postby nordle » Fri May 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Advised my dad to buy a Lenovo (he didn't want to spend more than £400 in 2008).
It's been very good.

Of course this is no help at all, no model number and not very recent. But if I was buying, I'd look at their latest range and google those to see whats what.

There is a linuxlaptop website too, can't remember exactly.
I think, therefore I compile
User avatar
nordle
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:56 pm

Postby towy71 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:24 pm

I don't have one of their computers but try here Linuxemporium for Linux pre-installed or buy one from Lenovo and install Linux yourself :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
User avatar
towy71
Moderator
 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: wild West Wales

Postby Rhakios » Fri May 04, 2012 8:42 pm

I recently (well January, to be accurate) bought a cheapish Toshiba Satellite C660-2EL, which works fine with Xubuntu 12.04. There have been some dodgy periods where the wifi hasn't worked very well, but it's settled down now and seems fine.
In general, going for anything with Intel hardware gives pretty good support (indeed, I would probably have had less trouble with wifi if it had an Intel wireless card on board).
Bye, Rhakios
User avatar
Rhakios
Moderator
 
Posts: 7634
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Midlands, UK

Postby pk_fox » Sat May 05, 2012 8:26 am

Thanks people - keep em comin :-)
User avatar
pk_fox
LXF regular
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:38 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Lenovo & Dell

Postby mediamgl » Sun May 06, 2012 7:29 pm

My main laptop is a Lenovo X220 and I have been running Ubuntu (11.04, 11.10 and 12.04) on it for the past 10 months or so. I have also played around with CrunchBang and Arch; both also seem fine on this particular hardware.

I would definitely consider another Lenovo when the time comes for a personal hardware refresh.

Ubuntu has a certified hardware page, with some of the most recent Lenovo and Dell laptops identified, if you're interested:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

^Hope this helps.
User avatar
mediamgl
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:54 pm

Re: Lenovo & Dell

Postby pk_fox » Mon May 07, 2012 10:13 am

mediamgl wrote:My main laptop is a Lenovo X220 and I have been running Ubuntu (11.04, 11.10 and 12.04) on it for the past 10 months or so. I have also played around with CrunchBang and Arch; both also seem fine on this particular hardware.

I would definitely consider another Lenovo when the time comes for a personal hardware refresh.

Ubuntu has a certified hardware page, with some of the most recent Lenovo and Dell laptops identified, if you're interested:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

^Hope this helps.


I'm hearing Lenovo a lot - thanks for your time I will check the link
User avatar
pk_fox
LXF regular
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:38 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Postby einonm » Tue May 15, 2012 5:13 pm

If you're looking for a laptop with no Wintax(TM), then I can heartily recommend Novatech http://www.novatech.co.uk. I've had three laptops from there, for myself and family, and have had almost no problems with them (I've had a slight issue with one touchpad not being a synaptics one, but sentelic, and the driver had a few bugs) - I also run Fedora exclusively.

Best of all, they're based in the UK and have a few stores dotted around the UK as well as the usual internet shop.

If I were to say anything bad about them, the laptop housings on some of their own-branded machines feels a little cheap and flimsy, but I fortunately haven't dropped one yet to find out if this is actually the case.

(You can also play on the website and see how much they add on to the prices for Windoze - for example, one PC at £290 with no OS is as much as £690 with Win7 ultimate + office2010!)
einonm
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Cardiff, UK

Postby pk_fox » Tue May 15, 2012 8:45 pm

einonm wrote:If you're looking for a laptop with no Wintax(TM), then I can heartily recommend Novatech http://www.novatech.co.uk. I've had three laptops from there, for myself and family, and have had almost no problems with them (I've had a slight issue with one touchpad not being a synaptics one, but sentelic, and the driver had a few bugs) - I also run Fedora exclusively.

Best of all, they're based in the UK and have a few stores dotted around the UK as well as the usual internet shop.

If I were to say anything bad about them, the laptop housings on some of their own-branded machines feels a little cheap and flimsy, but I fortunately haven't dropped one yet to find out if this is actually the case.

(You can also play on the website and see how much they add on to the prices for Windoze - for example, one PC at £290 with no OS is as much as £690 with Win7 ultimate + office2010!)


Blimey big premium, will check it out , thanks
User avatar
pk_fox
LXF regular
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:38 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Postby carl_h » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:47 am

I had a Dell 1300 Inspiron for several years, that ran Ubuntu perfectly.
carl_h
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:53 pm

Postby ajgreeny » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:49 pm

This looks a pretty good way to go as well, and you can play around with specs online and see the cost change. They also supply with no OS if you don't want one.
http://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 pm
Location: Oxfordshire.

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:49 pm

pk_fox wrote:Blimey big premium, will check it out , thanks

Office 2010 is the culprit there. The more full-featured versions are extortionate unless you have a need for their features (most people will get by OK with Word/Excel/Powerpoint)... :)

...

I've had two Acer laptops, neither of which have played very well with linux. Dell has had a better track record for me (Studio 17) where (and I pause before saying this) "it just works" with both a RedHat based distro (Scientific Linux) and a Debian distro (Ubuntu) all hardware works, wifi behaves itself, Bluetooth, etc...
User avatar
Paradigm Shifter
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Postby tweetiepooh » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:16 pm

I like IBM/Levano for Linux as they have a 3 button "mouse" and that extra button really helps.
User avatar
tweetiepooh
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:02 pm

Postby Ram » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:22 pm

tweetiepooh wrote:I like IBM/Levano for Linux as they have a 3 button "mouse" and that extra button really helps.


You get the same effect pressing both buttons together.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
User avatar
Ram
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:44 pm
Location: Guisborough

Linux Laptops

Postby chris0161 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Just found an American company with Ubuntu pre-installed called System 76

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/lemu4

Here ia a review on OMG Ubuntu:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/hand ... ntu-laptop
chris0161
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:28 am

Next

Return to Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests