Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quake 4 thoughts ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RD
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Quake 4 thoughts ? Reply with quote

Hi

I got my copy of quake 4 friday from tuxgames Smile and just woundering if any one else has got it and whats your thoughts on it ?

I love it its got me gripped which is more than some of the games ive played ive only found one problem with it it dropped out with a seg fault Sad but maybe i was giving it too much stick lol other than that wow it rocks Smile
Dave2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Quake 4 thoughts ? Reply with quote

Doom 3 drops to about 2FPS at times of action for me, and from what I've heard Quake 4 is slightly more demanding, so I'll go with "Pretty slide show" Razz.
RD
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Quake 4 thoughts ? Reply with quote

The lowest ive dropped in full on action for doom is 25 and about the same for quake it is big system wise dont half take some running, i tryed the bear minium and i was lucky to get 1fps so i put it on my main system and sings like a bird Smile very happy at 45-50 fps Smile
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: RE: Quake 4 thoughts ? Reply with quote

Ohhh, I'm off to buy it now, I'll let you know how I get on later...

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
ukshred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: RE: Quake 4 thoughts ? Reply with quote

i think that something more impressive could have been done with the doom3 engine, quake 4 is just another doom 3, but with different weapons.

(that said im gonna buy it Smile
Farslayer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Quake 4 thoughts ? Reply with quote

Quake 4 is great !! runs like a champ on my Linux box, but.. I'm having a bizarre sound issue.

All the audio echos and sounds like an old fashioned speech synthesizer that has been run through a harmonizer to the point where it's completely unintelligable. firing weapons sounds like you plucked a spring.

Seems to early for much to appear in the way of Linux community support on the net for Quake 4, so my searches have come up empty so far. Audio for my other games works fine.. Savage, UT2004, Bzflag.

That being said the gameplay is enjoyable, the graphics are great, I just wish I had a beefier machine.

[ UPDATE ] Sound issue has been resolved. the Doom3 FAQ had some suggestions for sound issues that had you change settings in the console. I tried afew of these and it pulled my sound back into the normal realm. it seems it was tryig to pump 5.1 channels of sound through my 2 speakers and that is what was causing the audio distortion.

set NumberOfSpeakers 2 is the setting that fixed my sound.

Last edited by Farslayer on Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
RD
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Quake 4 thoughts ? Reply with quote

Ive seen lots about sound but i fail to see what the problem is as ive not found one fault with sound

edit

Your right the game play is great and i must admit that to play this game right you really need a big powerful box Smile like i said ive tryed it on min requerments and that was hard, then put into my 3.6 P4 powered with 2gig ram and x800 xt runs smooth as hell Smile also put on my other box similar just graphics card geforce 6800 gt wow!.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: