Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Root password

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Johnnie



Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:41 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Puerto Rico

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Root password Reply with quote

I installed the Ubuntu 12.04 from LXF159 and ran into a problem with the root password when I tried to use the command line and SU. It kept telling me my password was invalid. The Ubuntu documentation on 12.04 says the first user password defined on installation will be the root password. I have no problem logging on to the system with this password (meaning there are no typos). Any help on this or is my next step to re-install?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
towy71
Moderator


Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4257
Location: wild West Wales

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to use sudo rather than su http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo
_________________
still looking for that door into summer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Johnnie



Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:41 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Puerto Rico

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick info. Guess I'm too old. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
lok1950
LXF regular


Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 6:31 am
Posts: 1024
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Johnnie wrote:
Thanks for the quick info. Guess I'm too old. Laughing


We all have our senior moments Johnnie Rolling Eyes Ubuntu does not put a real root account on their distro so if you are used to using su or su - for root access it's not there Rolling Eyes

Enjoy the Choice Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ram
LXF regular


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:44 pm
Posts: 1667
Location: Guisborough

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is if you sudo su
_________________

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ajgreeny
LXF regular


Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 9:18 pm
Posts: 449
Location: Oxfordshire.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
But is if you sudo su
Still uses the user password, though, not a root password.
_________________
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ram
LXF regular


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:44 pm
Posts: 1667
Location: Guisborough

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajgreeny wrote:
Ram wrote:
But is if you sudo su
Still uses the user password, though, not a root password.

Only the once then you have full root access as far as I can tell until you close the terminal it was issued from.
_________________

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ajgreeny
LXF regular


Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 9:18 pm
Posts: 449
Location: Oxfordshire.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
ajgreeny wrote:
Ram wrote:
But is if you sudo su
Still uses the user password, though, not a root password.

Only the once then you have full root access as far as I can tell until you close the terminal it was issued from.
We're probably splitting hairs here, but it is still not really using the root account, as far as I'm aware, but just raising the user to temporary root permissions.

I agree, however, it can be useful if you're doing something that requires continual re-entry of the sudo password, as that terminal retains root permissions until closed; one reason why using sudo su is rather frowned on by ubuntuforums, if not quite banned from being talked about.
_________________
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Johnnie



Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:41 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Puerto Rico

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Root Password Reply with quote

This discussion brings up the question of the root password. Once I am in root and change the password using passwd XXXX does this also change the user password. And if I were back in user mode and changed the password of the initial user would the root password change?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
nelz
Site admin


Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:52 pm
Posts: 8455
Location: Warrington, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No and no. Each user has their own password, and only root is able to change the password of anyone else.
_________________
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregS



Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:54 am
Posts: 97
Location: Oz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajgreeny wrote:
Ram wrote:
ajgreeny wrote:
Ram wrote:
But is if you sudo su
Still uses the user password, though, not a root password.

Only the once then you have full root access as far as I can tell until you close the terminal it was issued from.
We're probably splitting hairs here, but it is still not really using the root account, as far as I'm aware, but just raising the user to temporary root permissions.

I agree, however, it can be useful if you're doing something that requires continual re-entry of the sudo password, as that terminal retains root permissions until closed; one reason why using sudo su is rather frowned on by ubuntuforums, if not quite banned from being talked about.


AFAIK from my irregular interactions with the big 'U',
Code:
sudo bash
provides the same utility (ie remains as root for the duration of the session...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ajgreeny
LXF regular


Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 9:18 pm
Posts: 449
Location: Oxfordshire.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, so does
Code:
sudo -i
but it still only uses the user password, not a root password, and raises the user to root permissions.

Either way, as I said before, I think we are just splitting hairs with this discussion.
_________________
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ram
LXF regular


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:44 pm
Posts: 1667
Location: Guisborough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajgreeny wrote:
Yes, so does
Code:
sudo -i
but it still only uses the user password, not a root password, and raises the user to root permissions.

Either way, as I said before, I think we are just splitting hairs with this discussion.


Hair splitting maybe but I think the OP miss used su instead of using sudo.
_________________

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Linux Format forums topic RSS feed 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


Copyright 2011 Future Publishing, all rights reserved.


Web hosting by UKFast