Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FC4: Where is dm-crypt? And modprobe? And insmod?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WoofDef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: FC4: Where is dm-crypt? And modprobe? And insmod? Reply with quote

Thank you for providing FC4 with LXFS02.

But *where* is dm-crypt? FC4 is supposed to have dm-mod and dm-crypt enabled as modules. I've installed cryptsetup-luks and util-linux, but entering

# dmsetup targets
..> dmsetup: command not found

and the cryptsetup command does not exist either.

EDIT: *Where* is modprobe ? insmod?
When I tried to install modutils, yum just updated mod-init-tools. So I assume modutils was installed.
Still no modprobe.

Maybe I'm missing something here since I'm used to Debian (not Fedora), but I selected the Desktop + Development install options, so I thought I'd get a full bag of module utilities with the latter.
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: RE: FC4: Where is dm-crypt? And modprobe? And insmod? Reply with quote

Have you tried
Code:
/sbin/lsmod

I think most of the commands you are "missing" are in /sbin or /usr/sbin, and by default that isn't part of the PATH for normal users.

Nigel.
WoofDef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: RE: FC4: Where is dm-crypt? And modprobe? And insmod? Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt response. Yes, I has just worked that out via google.

Any idea why on earth /sbin isn't in PATH by default?

Must be a reason but it seems idiotic - unless it's to discourage normal users from running "system" (root user) commands, but if so, why not restrict execute perms and do it properly?

And if I'm not mistaken, binaries get stuck all over the place in linux so merely being in /usr/bin or /sbin doesn't always mean what it's supposed to anyway ...
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: RE: FC4: Where is dm-crypt? And modprobe? And insmod? Reply with quote

Yes, it's to discourage normal users from running system commands. The permissions will (usually) be set to stop normal users running these commands as well, but having them somewhere that isn't in the normal user's path also means they don't show up when the user does a "which" command.
WoofDef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: RE: FC4: Where is dm-crypt? And modprobe? And insmod? Reply with quote

Thanks. I still think it's annoying, so I've added /sbin to PATH in /etc/profile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: