document management system not a CMS

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

document management system not a CMS

Postby mande01 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Hello all!
I'm looking for a doc management system,
I have about 300,000 documents (~250gb) varying from mostly MS office (7gb of PST) to pdf to cad etc engineering type documents, specifically from the pharma sector.
I am a consultant that creates documentation for a living. If you want to know what I do ask some where else! Pretend I'm a medium sized company!

I need to be able to access these documents on the go, via web.
I need it to be indexed like a google search, but also allow editing, but this could be done via networked share or something.

Any suggestions,
If you need more info from me just shout!
I'm happy to build a server, or use a nas box at home, would really like it to b e open source cause if this works I'll be able to give back.

Thanks for reading!
Der
mande01

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:39 am

Given your business relies on it, go for the cloud...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:44 am

Googling "linux document management" returns plenty of results. OpenKM crops up a few times and look interesting.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby mande01 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi lads,
Thanks for replying I should have been more specific, I'm sort of looking for a recommendation as i don't have time to go testing these things. I will look more into OpenKM, I think that one had issues with pdf's being indexed, can't remember.

Also on the cloud, I don't think it’s there yet.
Putting 250 GB into dropbox would be a bit expensive esp. when I'm the only one using it.
Other cloud alternatives would become way too expensive for a guy on his own.

But a linux home server that I could just set up myself would be much better starting point as opposed to forking out on a solution that may not even work.

Thanks again,
Derry
mande01

Postby mande01 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Just to follow up adding some extra to my question:
In the past most of this info sat on an ext hdd and a laptop (i3 win 7) would have this indexed over about 3 days, with the emails indexed on outlook 2010,

I want to move all this to a Linux server,
That I can access via the internet, with file and path name indexing, plus contents indexed,
Upload and download docs,
Ideally have a web based file explorer also,

I have searched and have Ann idea of the options, and got really carried away and started putting knowledge tree on a qna pnas box,
I have run out of time for tinkering and need a recommendation from done one who had done this already or is confident of a solution,

If my expectations are off please correct me.
Thanks again,
Der
this is the first place I have gone asking, the recent CMS article prompted me!
mande01

Postby guy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi,

WordPress: http://wordpress.org/
It began as blogging software and led/leads the field, and nowadays can do a lot more than just blogging. It describes itself as a "Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS"

Drupal: http://drupal.org/
A more powerful/flexible alternative, and is a classic solution for a medium-sized company or bigger, but I suspect that may be taking the pretence too far. On the one hand it's reputed to be complex to set up the way you want it. On the other hand it has, like Linux, spawned an ecology of pre-configured distros to suit many needs.

Both are very widely used and have thriving communities. I'd suggest you take a quick look at both before deciding whether WordPress is flexible enough or Drupal is straight forward enough.

Thinking about quality of service and availability, a home server might let you down at a crucial moment. Loads of hosting sites will stand you up a server for not much cash. I know that Amazon and Google are into cloud services, but I don't know how mature / free these are.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby mande01 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Sweet dude!
Didn't think of trying those guys, I'll go route around in them and can always test them in a little vm .

Ta,
Der
mande01

Postby Mayhem » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:14 pm

I know this is an old topic, but if you happen to read this I would be interested to know the outcome.

I have a similar need: I work in IT and have hundreds (probably thousands !) of reference files that I need to keep from job to job.

I have written a PHP script that basically does a grep on text files (pdf2txt for pdf's, but nothing else at present), but its a pain in the *** and I don't really have the time/inclanation to put much more effort into what I'm *SURE* somebody must have already written. Its such a basic requirement after all...

Ajaxplorer comes close to what I want, but the indexing capabilities are a bit short
Mayhem

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:50 am

Mayan EDMS may be the tool you are looking for.
http://rosarior.github.com/mayan/
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Mayan EDMS

Postby cmcevoy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:17 am

Thanks! I've been looking for something just like this too and had overlooked Mayan.
cmcevoy

Postby towy71 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:59 am

one of my fellow lug people said what about dokuwiki
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Return to Help!