Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Borderless 6x4 photo printing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harley883

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Borderless 6x4 photo printing Reply with quote

I've just set a friend up with the latest Mint 13 Cinnamon on his laptop after a virus all but wiped out his Windoze Vista. He is quite happy with Linux in everything but printing. His Canon IP4600 photo printer prints documents okay but there does not appear to be any way to get borderless photo prints. Any help to get his Canon working would be appreciated but failing that he is willing to buy a new printer and while I know HP has the best support I really need to know what models to suggest to him to give him good quality 4x6in borderless photo prints.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite clear what the problem is. On HP printers with which I am familiar, there is a separate tray for this size of photo.

So is the software failing to use such a tray on the Canon or does the Canon do it a different way?

It may be worth being more clear about the exact nature of the problem.
ferrari
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to dig up one thread in which a user purports to have borderless printing working. (Refer post #5)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=975747

The printing options available are usually determined by the ppd associated with the Canon drivers.

The alternative commercial drivers from TurboPrint are also discussed.

Good luck with this.
Harley883

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying.

johnhudson

There is no problem with the Canon printer itself, from Vista it works fine printing 6x4 borderless photos. The problem is there is no BORDERLESS option anywhere in the Linux driver. You can set the paper to 4x6 and photo quality okay and it will print but with a white border all the way around. My friend wants to be able to continue printing without the border as he's always done up until now from Vista.

ferrari

I did find this thread myself but it seems rather old and I found several others that suggest the problems with the Canon printer driver started in Mint 12 when several of the dependancies for the old driver were no longer met. Canon has not updated the driver since 2008.

I will have to arrange for my friend to leave his printer with me so I can have a bit more 'in depth' fiddle with it myself. At the moment I'm just impressed that I've managed to convert my friend and his wife to using Linux.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just possible that this is a software problem then; the KDE print options purport to allow you to print to an exact size but I don't have a 6 x 4 tray to test this.

When I am printing a photo it is always flush with the top edge of the page.
Harley883

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply again John.

The problem is definitely with the driver but not specifically with 6x4 page size, there is no borderless option for any paper size.

To be honest I do not really expect to get borderless printing to work with his canon ip4600 (It'd be nice if I could!) but I was rather more hoping that someone might post a reply saying something like 'I do 6x4 borderless prints on my HP xxxx printer all the time, it works perfectly' and then I could point my friend towards buying a printer that would definitely do what he requires.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I don't do it all the time, just the once but it worked.

Printer: HP Photosmart Prem C310 using HP Linux Imaging and Printing (HPLIP)

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....

Last edited by Ram on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ferrari
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ram: When you managed to print borderless, I assume you could set the paper size with 'bordeless' as an explicit option?

I think we may need to see a working ppd file, with the required options present. Then it might be possible to edit the OP's ppd file to include any required entries to support borderless printing.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: