Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby AndyBaxman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:44 am

I found I needed to use this script to fire up Minecraft:-

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/jre/lib/amd64"
java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -jar minecraft.jar

Found it would run fine under openJDK, but installed Oracle (spit spit) Java as above.

Obviously change the value of LD_LIBRARY_PATH to suit your environment.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby leke » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Yeah, couldn't get it to run by itself. I'll try the script next, but my java path is a little different ...
Code: Select all
asdf@asdf:~$ cd /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/lib/
asdf@asdf:/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/lib$ ls
alt-rt.jar                          images
applet                              jar.binfmt
calendars.properties                javafx.properties
charsets.jar                        javaws.jar
classlist                           jce.jar
cmm                                 jexec
content-types.properties            jfr.jar
currency.data                       jfxrt.jar
deploy                              jsse.jar
deploy.jar                          jvm.hprof.txt
desktop                             locale
ext                                 logging.properties
flavormap.properties                management
fontconfig.bfc                      management-agent.jar
fontconfig.properties.src           meta-index
fontconfig.RedHat.5.bfc             net.properties
fontconfig.RedHat.5.properties.src  oblique-fonts
fontconfig.RedHat.6.bfc             plugin.jar
fontconfig.RedHat.6.properties.src  psfontj2d.properties
fontconfig.SuSE.10.bfc              psfont.properties.ja
fontconfig.SuSE.10.properties.src   resources.jar
fontconfig.SuSE.11.bfc              rt.jar
fontconfig.SuSE.11.properties.src   security
fontconfig.Turbo.bfc                servicetag
fontconfig.Turbo.properties.src     sound.properties
fonts                               zi
i386

So, instead of amd64, should I add i386 to the end of that path or something else from that list?

Thanks
leke
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:50 pm

i386 would make sense. I assume you aren't using a 64bit OS
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:52 am

leke wrote:So, instead of amd64, should I add i386 to the end of that path or something else from that list?
Thanks

yes. i386 would be correct. You should see a lot of library (.so) files in that directory, including libjava.so

One last point. Mincraft requires ridiculously memory requirements on Linux to run well. It runs adequately on my daughters elderly single core Athlon box with 2gb of memory, but really struggled on my amd64 triple core Ubuntu based box with the same memory and trying to run the Minecraft client, Bukkit server and Eclipse (to develop plugins) would make the whole system grind to a halt. Upping the memory to 4gb stopped it continually bashing the swap file and made things much smoother.
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby leke » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:03 pm

The script worked flawlessly :) We've all been playing on it tonight -- lots of laughs were had.

I think it runs pretty good on my machine although it too has plenty of memory (2gb).

I'll be buying it for the kids -- as long as they still want the game after the demo period has expired.

Thanks for all your help.
leke
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:40 pm

You can never get bored of minecraft

If somehow you do, have a look at tekkit (a bunch of reallly cool mods for minecraft) Have a watch of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk58R6g7PGA (and the series) if you ever get bored, some realllly cool stuff in there

Also if you have kids plural, and they each have their own computer (lucky children, I didn't!) you might want to set up a minecraft server (v easy) so they can blow each other up :D
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:04 am

Minecraft certainly is a whole bunch of fun. I run a Bukkit server.

This has a nice easy to use plugin API

Working on a cut and paste plugin which will allow you to copy buildings and interesting geographical features into a database and then "paste" them elsewhere (even another world). The idea is to allow you to build up a library of objects that can be used to build custom worlds.

My server is on most evenings. PM me for the IP address, if interested.
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Yeah tekkit is built on bukkit. Basically a bunch of plugins grouped together so that clients don't have to install loads of plugins to join a server. I also run a tekkit server in the evenings, check out http://tynecraft.net/ for details :D

Also like the idea of your cut ans paste plugin Andy!
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby leke » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks for the offers -- It sounds like a lot of fun. The kids had a little moan recently saying it was difficult, but I think they just need a little more playing practice.

My other computers are a bit old and underpowered to allow both of them to play at once, but if I did manage to pick up a fairly new one, would I need to buy 2 licences (accounts) or could the kids play at the same time with one?
leke
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Short answer; I believe you will need two accounts to play at the same time. :(

Long answer;
You can play offline with the same account once minecraft on that computer has been played once I believe, but you would have to disconnect the computer from the intertubes. I don't believe you can login to two minecrafts at the same time whilst on the intertubes, and the server will probably kick one of you off if both minecrafts have the same username if you join a server.

I will try tonight when my server comes online and see what happens
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Yeah just tried, can run 2 at the same time in single player, but if you try and join a server it kicks one of the users off.
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby leke » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:57 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:Yeah tekkit is built on bukkit. Basically a bunch of plugins grouped together so that clients don't have to install loads of plugins to join a server. I also run a tekkit server in the evenings, check out http://tynecraft.net/ for details :D

Also like the idea of your cut ans paste plugin Andy!
Ok, so I finally got round to purchasing the game (my kids have still been playing on in even after the demo time). Anyway, I tried to connect to your server a few times, but got the error, Failed to connect -- Connection refused.

Do I need to forward port 27015 on my router or something?

Thanks.
leke
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:35 pm

I have just updated the instructions on that page. Basically because I am running a slightly older server (because they took some stuff out that we like) you have to manually select which 'build' you would like to run.

Let me know if you run into any other problems. I'll try and be on it tonight.
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby leke » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:47 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:I have just updated the instructions on that page. Basically because I am running a slightly older server (because they took some stuff out that we like) you have to manually select which 'build' you would like to run.

Let me know if you run into any other problems. I'll try and be on it tonight.
Thanks Bob, it worked with the new instructions and the kids were there this weekend (not making trouble I hope), but after a while the server disconnected them and they couldn't connect since. I've just tried it now as well and it's still offline. No worries though, they've been exploring other worlds in the mean time. I'm a tempted to get into this game, but I'm a little busy with Uni now. I could look into the plug-in dev and maybe get the work as credits.
leke
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:15 pm

I haven't spotted any trouble :wink:

Due to the location of the server it can only be online between 10pm and 8am, a little late for the kids perhaps. I might be able to get this extended at the weekends.

Playing on minecraft for credits sounds like a good idea to me! :D
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic