Microsoft's new Service Conditions

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Microsoft's new Service Conditions

Postby Stanbo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:30 pm

LXF Readers I have just part-read the new terms and conditions of use from Microsoft, delivered 11 Sept,2012, for the conditions of use of their software. I look forward to reading the comments in the next LXF mag
Stanbo

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:09 pm

LXF has nothing (or at least as little as possible) to do with M$, so I'm not :P

Whatever which way M$ decides to change their terms and conditions, OSS (and Linux in particular) will benefit :D
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Presumably the OP is referring to that clause which is supposed to forbid class actions against Microsoft. I'd be surprised if such a restriction in a EULA could be binding.
The GPLv3 is a much better license. :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Rhakios wrote:Presumably the OP is referring to that clause which is supposed to forbid class actions against Microsoft. I'd be surprised if such a restriction in a EULA could be binding.
The GPLv3 is a much better license. :)

Many companies are adding that - Sony, Valve, EA... I'm sure there are more. I doubt the legality of it, but I'm not lawyer, so have no idea really what wrangling they may or may not do to (attempt to) enforce that EULA clause.
Paradigm Shifter

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:52 pm

That's fairly simple: "you accepted the EULA, so you can't sue us" Well, in the US perhaps, but the EU is a whole different matter :P Remember, there's no such thing as a "software patent" in the EU, despite what many American S/W companies want you to believe... :evil:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:30 am

I don't know about the USA, but the idea that anyone can deny you from resorting to a court is not just astonishing, but fundamentally wrong, a denial of a basic civil right. It is attempting to put the company above courts and justice - like contempt of court. Even the Prime Minister would be rapped for that.

One of the bases of civilisation surely is the ability to ask peers and/or "elders" to intervene in a dispute. It is for them to decide it there is any case to answer. That trumps anything else written or spoken.

I would expect a UK court to brush aside any such nonsense with hardly a comment, whether previously "agreed" by the parties or not. This is made more explicit by the concept of "unfair clauses" in contracts.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Return to Discussion