Mapping Windows Network drive

Share your how-tos and guides with other users

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mapping Windows Network drive

Postby slesij » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Hello there.

I'm a Linux newbie and I need some help mapping my windows network drive through Linksys E3000 Wireless router. I need detailed manual how to map a windows network drive (in Win7 I mapped it as \\192.168.1.1\Media). I have searched many forums but obviously Linux Mint 13 is different because none of the "recipes" work.

I go to network, add network folder, I choose microsoft windows network drive but I can't get anywhere from there. I don't even know when to use slah or backslash. Sorry, I'm a real rookie, but I need to start somewhere.

If anyone would be kind enough to help, I'd be extremely greatful!

Thanks in advance!

S.
slesij

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:58 pm

There could be a load of stuff gone wrong preventing you access to the Win-drive. Can you access the drive from another Win-OS computer? If you can, the problem is likely on your side. If not, find out why not (talk to the owner/network admin). Before we go any further we need to know where to look ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby slesij » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I can easily access my network drive with Win based an Mac computers. It's home network so I'm the admin. There shouldn't be any problems with access rights.
slesij

Postby slesij » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:18 pm

To be honest, I'm not even sure what and how to enter IP address of the drive, what the "name" means and what "folder" means in network drive settings wizard.
slesij

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Right then. It could be that Mint doesn't have the support for NTFS installed. Open the software installation program (dunno what it's called in Mint) and search for NTSF. The package you need is probably named ntfs-3g or similar. When you found it, mark it for installation. It could be installed already, don't remove it then ;)

As for the network wizard: name is the name of the device the network drive is attached to, folder is the path on that device to the actual drive itself. The IP of the device you need to look up on the device, but I have limited knowledge of Win-OS so can't tell you where to look... :P
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Network drives don't use NTFS, they use Samba.

In Samba, forward and backward slashes are generally interchangeable, but most use forward slashes because the backward ones are so damn ugly.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby dandnsmith » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 am

I agree with Nelz - the filesystem type doesn't matter, as the content is made available in a network-transparent fashion.
Usually you don't have to worry about SAMBA as all you need is the client, which is (usually) available by default.

I do wonder about mapping the drive - are you trying to make it available at bootup, or to access it later? and is it really a NAS or a share on a Windows machine?
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby slesij » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi. Thank you all for trying to help me. The drive is attached to my WiFi router and is not a share on Windows PC. I had no problems finding and connecting it on Ubuntu 11.04 machine. Just this Mint Linux keeps bothering me. I tried all combinations possible, no luck. I can't find a single person who uses Linux Mint 13 with a mapped network drive.
slesij

Postby slesij » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Oh and yes, I want to connect network drive at start-up and want to "see" it all the time.
slesij

Postby slesij » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Does enyone knows the equivalent procedure for Linux Mint 13. Original for Win XP/Vista/7 is shown here.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx? ... age=search
slesij

Postby greg.d » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Can you do something like:

smb://192.168.1.1/media or whatever within the file manager (nautilus)?

If that works then I would think that to get it to mount each time at login you would need to edit fstab possibly...
greg.d

Return to Hints and tips