Enabling root access in PCLinuxOS

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Enabling root access in PCLinuxOS

Postby mikejd » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 am

I have PCLinuxOS installed on a machine which I run as a printer server using an Epson SX435W printer/scanner. This works fine for printing over the network and for scanning with iscan on the server. However I am unable to get the scanner working from another machine.

My problem is not actually with iscan but in getting root access on the server to make changes to files to make it work.

If I try to log-in as root I get a message that I am not allowed root log-in. I tried to sudo kwrite to edit files but didn't have sudo installed. I installed sudo and now I can run sudo and it asks for a password then says I don't have permission as I am not entered in sudoers file. I can't change the sudoers file as I don't have root access and I can't get root access because I'm not in the sudoers file - impasse!!

Any suggestions?

Mike
mikejd
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:48 am

Not sure if you are trying a GUI login or terminal but if GUI try a terminal.

In a terminal type the following

Code: Select all
su

enter the root password when asked.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:11 pm

If all else fails, you could boot from a live CD and edit sudoers manually.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby mikejd » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:45 pm

OK I can use su + password then open sudoers with vim but it says you have to use visudo to edit. Did this and tried to read man sudoers but I can't work out how I edit and what the correct entry should be.

I guess I'll stick with using the server to scan and transfer the files over the network. Just means I have to log-in to the server.

Thanks,
Mike
mikejd
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Why not just edit the files you need to make ISCAN work as root and not bother with sudo for now.

once logged in as root you can still launch kwrite from the terminal.

Edit...
Have a look at this link on editing with visudo It's for debian but may help in your understanding.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:06 pm

visudo is kjst a wrapper that uses $EDITOR to edit sudoers and does some syntax checks before overwriting the original. You can do it directly with an editor but visudo is safer. As for what to add, try one of

Code: Select all
%wheel  ALL=(ALL)       ALL
username  ALL=(ALL)       ALL

The first line gives sudo access to all members of the wheel group, the conventional choice for sudo access, the second line does the same but for a single user.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!