+1 for Mythbuntu.
Setup not as complicated as some make out (for freeview at least, satellite is a little more complicated) (or I have just done it too often!), many tutorials out there, and LXF has done features on it to.
If you get a new computer to run everything couple of points from experience;
- Gigabit network card - 100mb will quickly get saturated if streaming multiple HD videos around
- Large hard drive - I'm 50% of 3tb so far (although I have put all my DVDs on it to)
- Quiet - if it is going under the TV
- Multiple PCI slots - allows you to have lots of tuners
- Cooling - lots of it, and where you locate the computer too - my tuners at least can get a touch hot!
[edited to add an extra o
Wait, what? What is this sorcery?!?!
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was