Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyon recommend a VPN service?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Borat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Can anyon recommend a VPN service? Reply with quote

I'm now starting to take web privacy / anonymity more seriously these days. Can anyone recommend a VPN service? I'm mostly looking for web, torrent and Usenet etc. anonymity.
einonm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, VPN is for connecting to a particular network (like an office network), and allowing your computer access to that network as if it was physically plugged into the network at the office location.

If this is what you are thinking of using it for, VPN is not of any use for anonymous web surfing.

I think what you're really after is something like TOR -

https://www.torproject.org/
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also VPN services on the internet, you establish a VPN to them and then all traffic from your PC is encrypted, supposedly giving you anonymity and encrypted secrecy. HOWEVER it has been speculated that many of the VPN services out there are honey pots being run by various government agencies so that they can more easily see what you're up to. Of course if you've nothing to hide you've nothing to fear Shocked

Tin foil hats on everyone Confused
stargateuser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

einonm wrote:
AFAIK, VPN is for connecting to a particular network (like an office network), and allowing your computer access to that network as if it was physically plugged into the network at the office location.

If this is what you are thinking of using it for, VPN is not of any use for anonymous web surfing.

I think what you're really after is something like TOR -

https://www.torproject.org/

TOR is not recommended for torrenting. I'm sure it explains on the TOR website.
Code:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea
alanwade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There square measure scores of totally different LINUX VPN server packages obtainable on the web these days. Initially look this would possibly really sound sort of a sensible factor. With lots of various software packages to choose from, one would possibly suppose that it makes putting in your own VPN abundant easier or higher. However, the reality is it really makes it a euphemism of lots harder and confusing. LINUX may be a extremely popular operating system for servers, and if you’re trying to line up a VPN of your own that runs one among the numerous variations of the operating system obtainable these days, then I powerfully suggest that you simply see Linux VPN detail info.
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanwade Is this spam??
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and reads like the output from a translation engine Sad
alanwade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
alanwade Is this spam??

No not at all.. I used this one then i recommend
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: