Will Mike pitch in on this?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Will Mike pitch in on this?

Postby shaddack » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:51 am

Hi!

I saw this article today: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/06/elite_dangerous_on_kickstarter/ I wonder if Mike will pitch in on this? I think I will! :)
shaddack

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Great news, isn't it? I'm still a bit skeptical at the moment (it's hard not to be, after the agonisingly long wait for Elite IV), but I think I'll chip in. Apparently Braben will add some screenshots and more info to the Kickstarter project soon...

I just hope the game still delivers the same Frontier-ish feeling of vastness and freedom, the ability to explore endlessly. I can understand that Braben wants to return to the Elite controls/physics, as that was more fun in dogfights, but Frontier's attempt at realistically recreating the galaxy was something very special indeed.

Rest assured, I'm drinking a Weißbier in celebration :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby shaddack » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:12 am

Yes I also liked Frontier because of the realistic universe (and the gameplay ofcourse). It was fun to fly around our own solar system!

Well I think I can spare £20 to reserve a copy! Really looking forward to it! :) But I do agree on your concerns.

You explained in a podcast some time ago how to play frontier on linux. Was it using dosbox? Please recap this information! :)
shaddack

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Yep, DOSBox indeed. Just get the Frontier files and put them in a folder called "frontier" in your home directory. Fire up DOSBox and enter:

mount c /home/username/frontier

Then the C: drive points to that "frontier" dir, so you can do

c:
cd frontier
frontier

And go! For smooth running you might want to change the "cycles" setting in ~/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74.conf (or whatever version it is). I have mine set to 20000.

Hope that helps! And I should mentioned "Frontier on Linux" and "How to run Frontier on Linux" for anyone in the future searching for such information :-)

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby shaddack » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:14 am

Excellent. Thanks!
shaddack

Return to Off Topic