Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LXF 165: Typos in Unison Tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maverickprowls

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: LXF 165: Typos in Unison Tutorial Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've been running through James Litton's excellent Unison tutorial, and I've got everything working beautifully, synchronising a folder on 3 machines with a central server. I'd been trying to roll my own solution with rsync for a couple of weeks without much luck, so the tutorial was perfectly timed.

I noticed two things in the shell script provided in the article. One I know is a typo, the other was my mistake, but is down to the poor differentiation between 1 and l in the font used for code in the article.

Line 11 of the script
Code:
if [${stst:0:7}] == "Nothing"]; then

should be
Code:
if [${stat:0:7}] == "Nothing"]; then

However, when I initially copied out the script, I noticed that I was getting a notification even when the script had nothing to do. After a bit of poking around I realised that line 6 ends with
Code:
tail -1
but I had written
Code:
tail -l
with the letter L. After I made this correction, the script worked correctly.

Once again, many thanks for a really useful tutorial, and I hope the above helps anyone else who's having trouble getting this working.
guttagrynna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnks for this post. I ran the tutorial myself today, and got the sam two errors in my code. Correcting the second one makes no difference that I can detect, though. Which is odd and worrying.

I have used unison the manual way before, which has been working as expected. My problem now is that in batch mode it doesn't handle deletes right. If I delete a file on one computer it gets copied from the server on sync. I have version 2.32 (as opposed to 2.40) running - could it be an explanation?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: