Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using chntpw to recreate a Windows registry key

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knight_beat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Using chntpw to recreate a Windows registry key Reply with quote

I managed to delete the UserInit registry key on my Windows XP box and have found that I can no longer login to the machine (it logs in for a second, then logs off again).

"Ah ha!", I thought. I've read that chntpw is useful for this type of thing, so I went and installed it. I can access the Windows registry and navigate to \Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Next, I create a key called 'UserInit' using the nk command and edit it using 'ed'. This produces a response that I should specify the buffer size (I arbitrarily set it at 88 ).

However, I can't work out what I'm supposed to do next. If I enter an ASCII string of any type, I just get a question mark response. If I try to save the non-existent key value I get a message that it cannot be saved as the buffer is unchanged. Additionally, the newly created key also disappears when I exit chntpw.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't work out how to add a string value to a newly created key. I've gone through the usual search engine route, but the tutorials focus upon editing existing keys and the man page is fairly useless. Can anyone help?
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you full marks for dogged persistence.
How many more people have taken until now to find out the full panoply of "delights" of M$ XP.
I gave in with M$ 98SE.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Linux forum and while your persistence is admired wanting to use an unsupported (crap) system, if you really want to know write to Microsoft!

When you've got over that and start to use anything else Linux and come back to us, we really want to help people Very Happy
knight_beat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange 'advice'. chntpw is a Linux application. I'm running it under Ubuntu. The question relates to the behaviour of a Linux application. Why are you suggesting it's out of scope for the forum?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should have said so in the first place. Posting a Windows question to a Linux forum, especially as a first post, is unlikely to get the most positive of responses.
knight_beat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71, nelz, why the hostility? I came here looking for advice on a reasonably well-known Linux application. I hoped that people here would have experience of the tool and politely asked if someone could point me in the right direction. Instead, I'm being attacked by two moderators who have seen Windows mentioned in the title, jumped to the wrong conclusion, and are now on the defensive.

I suppose I could have mentioned that I've been using Linux for a number of year and have a largish collection of LXF mags (I recall receiving a subscription copy of LXF #001 through the post after Amiga Format closed), but it seems unnecessary to have to establish your credentials before asking a question.

Congratulations, you've won. I should have realised that the sub-forum title was shorthand for 'Help! (unless you want to use Linux applications to resolve a non-Linux issue'). I realise my error in asking for help and will go back to lurker mode.
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try posting in the Other OS sub-forum maybe that will get their shorts unknotted Wink

Enjoy the Choice Smile
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knight_beat wrote:
towy71, nelz, why the hostility?
The question was about booting a Windows XP box and that you have broken the system registry, I'm sorry if I got that wrong Confused

Have you read through all the faqs on http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ ? It looks like there are enough to be going on with Wink

See I do like to help Embarassed
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hostility? Attacked? Where in my post did you find those?

You posted a question about repairing a broken Windows system in a Linux help forum, with no mention of using Linux to do so. In fact, your use of backslashes when describing your actions implied you were not using Linux.

My first reaction when seeing your post was that it may be spam, the sort of message that magically acquires links after a short time. However, I wasn't sure so waited. You later explained that you were using a Linux tool under Ubuntu, had you done so at the start you could have avoided the confusion. Remember the only information we had to go on was the words you posted, and the only OS mentioned in those words was Windows.

We're not a bad bunch in here, but the quality of the answers you get depends on the quality of the questions you ask.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a single user machine or have you also set an admin password ?

If you have then try starting in safe mode, this should give you the option to login to the admin account.

Also have a read of http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?bt=211

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started reading knight_beatís original query and saw UserInit and Windows XP and immediately thought hmm we have a Windows query here. But then I read on and saw chntpw and thought that doesnít sound like a Windows program and nk and ed didnít sound like Windows commands. When I reached the last paragraph and saw man mentioned I thought OK heís talking about a Linux program. But I double-checked by looking at the page itself and saw ďThis manual page was written by Javier Fernandez-Sanguino PeŮa <jfs@computer.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others)Ē, which definitely confirmed it was a Linux program.

Um, isn't it a teeny bit harsh - to say nothing of not being very welcoming - to find fault with a new member simply because of the order in which he placed his words. Give him a chance to get settled in first. After all, his question was fairly short and it didnít take very long to read through to the end to get the full gist of what he was on about.

knight_beat
If youíre still lurking and reading this I was wondering whether you have an XP installation disc, as I have come across various websites which mention using one to reinstate UserInit. See as one example http://www.ehow.com/how_6914988_extract-userinit-exe.html
However, you need to be aware of the warning at the end of the article about different service packs having different versions of userinit.exe. So if you have an XP service pack 2 disc it probably wonít work if you have upgraded your OS to service pack 3.
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On reflection perhaps I was a little abrasive, my bad Embarassed

I definitely don't want to discourage people from using this site,I do hope the OP is still lurking here Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: