Dumb ways to die

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Dumb ways to die

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:41 am

Found on a UK forum, it's great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... JNR2EpS0jw

Mind that the message remains the same, even if you're not in Melbourne... :roll:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:05 am

That had me and the kids rolling! :lol:
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:44 pm

I bridled a bit when it included "Do your own electrical work".

I spent most of last weekend doing just that, some of it rectifying shoddy work probably done by professionals. The professionals meet the regs, but don't bother much about things like stapling the cables in the attic neatly out of the way; basically they skimp wherever they think the customer will not see. I am finding 40 amp cables loose and snaking over attic flooring where they can be trodden on.

Similarly with gas. Last year I called in a registered fitter (as required by law) because my boiler kept tripping in freezing weather. I realised it was condensate backing up, but all the fitter did was to replace a condensate water level sensor. (Ie he assumed the trip was caused by sensor error) It cost me £nnn. But at the next cold snap it tripped just the same. So I looked inside the boiler myself and immediately saw that the problem was a hole corroded in a condensate drain pipe. The professional has missed it.

I am a nuclear power station engineer, overseeing work on several sites, and my sig is needed against any mods that they do. But apparently I am not considered good enough to mend a gas boiler.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Get a qualification. Sounds like you'd walk it.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:04 am

heiowge wrote:Get a qualification. Sounds like you'd walk it.

It doesn't work like that. Fitters themselves are not "qualified" (ie they do not have a personal certificate) - they are simply recognised as competent by their employer (maybe themselves) who is in turn registered with the Local Authority. With gas, you cannot get such recognition as an amateur.

With electrical work it is similar except that an amateur can do work as long as they go through a process similar to meeting building regulations. It is hard to know how much this is followed in practice since mains wiring components can still be freely purchased. They call this sort of thing "self certification" :-

From www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60746 :-
it [is] certified by the person who carried it out as being in compliance with the Building Regulations

What could possibly go wrong with that I wonder?

I have always worked on my own cars, and imagined that one day a competence test might be introduced as a requirement for eg brake and steering work. But I had never worried about that as I thought I would be OK, like passing a driving test. In fact I could welcome it as we do not want cars with bodged brakes on the road. However, I do now worry as it could be on similar lines to the gas fitter rules - a method attractive to the Authorities because it does not involve them doing anything (except file some paperwork and charge a fee). There has been talk for example of making an annual service (as an extension of the MoT test) compulsory. I have had some contact with the motor trade (I mean behind the scenes) and know what a bunch of crooks they are, and very often incompetent to boot, but politicians know best don't they?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:35 am

Nuke wrote:but politicians know best don't they?
haha these are the people that came up with the idea of elected police commissioners :?
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby bobthebob1234 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Nuke wrote:I am a nuclear power station engineer

Lol I think that qualifies you to do just about anything safety related..
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:31 pm

Not in my book... :roll: It's cool to know how a nuclear power plant works (I have a basic grasp of that too) and how to control it (not a clue here :o), but I wouldn't have him run a train, unsupervised and untrained (sec :P) :? I'm sure he'll pick it up quickly, given his intellect, but not while thrown in at the deep end... :roll:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:25 am

And just who creates the "electrical regs" and the "gas regs"??

Why the trade organisations of course...they are the experts!!

I recently had a gas fire installed. The installation instructions said it did not need "additional ventilation" because it was not a large one. Over the course of time I have fitted three gas central heating systems and two gas fires into the houses we have owned but now my physical condition precludes me from bending and kneeling down so I "got a man in".
He was a local CORGI certified gas central heating man. He knew better than the makers of the fire and so we had to provide additional ventilation.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:01 am

Dutch_Master wrote:Not in my book... :roll: It's cool to know how a nuclear power plant works (I have a basic grasp of that too) and how to control it (not a clue here :o)

No-one can know everything, but as in any field, you have to know how to find someone who does know about a given subject. A nuclear power station for example has technical departments in operations, engineering, physics and chemistry. My own background is mechanical plant and structural stress analysis, and my chemistry only went to O-level, but if for example the chemists were proposing a change to boiler feed water pH, I do not have to take their word for it being a good idea. I would pass it to a chemist at headquarters (in fact I sit opposite one) for their view on it. We also consult external academics sometimes.

Another example is software. I can install Linux and write simple C programs, but at HQ I once sat near a software reliablity guy against whose whose expertise my own knowledge seemed insignificant. I did not need to consult him however to refuse the use of Windows with anything to do with nuclear plant - you only need to read the advice which comes with Windows itself for that :-)

Dutch_Master wrote: but I wouldn't have him run a train, unsupervised and untrained

That is quite funny, because I previously worked for London Transport (when both trains and buses) as a test engineer. I did the train driving course and sometimes drove our test trains, mostly on the open part of the Metropolitan line north of Harrow. This was unofficial and might have caused a one-day strike if known to the NUR, of which I was not a member. It was also unofficial in that I had not done the route training (you need to know every signal position), but our regular test driver was right next to me telling me when to brake etc. It is not hard actually driving a train, after you get used to its really lousy braking power. Most of the driving course is about dealing with failures and how to over-ride trips in order to get the train to the next station to detrain the passengers.
Last edited by Nuke on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 am

Since watching that I really cant get the song out of my head, I was walking through the tube station this morning when I realised I was quietly singing "Dumb ways to die...." God only knows what would have happened if anyone heard me, there'd either be a full on terrorist callout, or I'd be carted away in the padded van.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby arronbruno » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Lawyer wrote:Since watching that I really cant get the song out of my head, I was walking through the tube station this morning when I realised I was quietly singing "Dumb ways to die...." God only knows what would have happened if anyone heard me, there'd either be a full on terrorist callout, or I'd be carted away in the padded van.

Are you really telling that nobody hear your song, when you was quietly singing the song? If someone (a lady) hear the song, she could be a person with you for this day?
arronbruno

Return to Off Topic