Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boolean logic conundrum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplepenguin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Boolean logic conundrum Reply with quote

Hi, I wonder if someone would be so kind as to help me out?

I'm writing a Sense program for my HND at the OU and I'm not sure if I'm being stupid or whether I've spotted a typo. I wanted to check with people in the know before I email my tutor.

The task tells me:

Place the sprite at x:0 and y:170
So long as the y position of sprite is greater than or equals to -175 it should move down the stage in 1 step intervals.

To my mind if the sprite's y position is equal to -175 it should continue to move and end up at -176.

Later on i am told that the sprite should not exceed -175

How can the sprite be equal to -175 and still move 1 place down but not exceed -175.

Thank you for your patience
greg.d

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So -175 is the lowest value? I dont know what they mean by move down the stage? Maybe that means the X axis?
So do they mean move X by 1, and Y by -1 each time until Y=-175?
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, the logic is faulty. Worse, it is ambiguous and both interpretations are still faulty!

If it moves when Y is "greater than or equal to" -175 then it should move until eventually Y becomes less than -175, i.e. -176. Then it should stop.

"The sprite should not exceed -175" is unclear, since "exceed" is not mathematically defined. However, both possible meanings are wrong.
If "exceed" means "greater than" as in 170 exceeds -175, then that would lead to an incorrect statement, since the starting point well exceeds the stated limit.
If "exceed" means "have greater magnitude than" as in -175 has greater magnitude than 170, then that would also be incorrect, since as we have seen the sprite must pass through -175 and stop at -176.

However, the faulty logic is not Boolean, it is arithmetical.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: this is not Boolean, it's maths Razz
purplepenguin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy

Thank you for your explanation, just as I thought although I was starting to doubt myself and wonder if I was missing something obvious.

I was getting all wrapped up with Boolean logic as we have just covered <, >, =, and, or and not operators the OU explained these as Boolean Logic operators. I now see the error is a mathematical one.

I have sent an email to my tutor. I am now wondering if maybe it was intentional to see if we are paying attention.

Thank you once again.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, < and > are not usually regarded as Boolean operators - especially on a beginners' course. AND, OR, NOT and so on are the usual suspects.

However I seem to recall that some Boolean algebras incorporate them as well. I suppose that = is trivially Boolean.

@Dutch_Master, Is logic a branch of maths or is maths a branch of logic? The answer of course depends on whether you ask a logician or a mathematician. Razz
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepenguin wrote:

I was getting all wrapped up with Boolean logic as we have just covered <, >, =, and, or and not operators the OU explained these as Boolean Logic operators. I now see the error is a mathematical one.

Comparison operators (==, >, <, <=, >=, ===, etc, depending on language) are not boolean operators as they can take non boolean operands, but they do always return a boolean result.

Only the equality operator makes any sense with Boolean operands, and then only if you are comparing two boolean variables (i.e. not literals). (boolvar1 == boolvar2) will return true if, and only if, both variables are true or both variables are false (i.e. the same)

Cases like (boolvar1 == true) are nonsensical as
IF boolvar1 == 1 THEN .....

is equivalent to

IF boolvar1 THEN .....
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: