Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LXf 73 - mailtc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dval

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: LXf 73 - mailtc Reply with quote

Hi guys,

As a noobie, I'm not fully sure how I do this so this may or may not sound stupid Smile

mailtc - reviewed in LFX 73 needs GTK+ (2.4 or better) to install... I'm geting the error - "GTK 2.4 not found" during ./configure part of the installation

How do I know what version I have installed? and how do I load the upgrade through synaptic or apt-get?

I'm running Debian 3.1 semi-testing with GNOME 2.8 and KDE 3.4.3 loaded as per the almost default installation.

mailtc looks like a useful little app, no need to load a full size mail package etc, but the assumtion that "no fiddly dependacies only GTK+" misses the point slightly.

Thanks for any advice

Dave
Linux u.n 398915
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: RE: LXf 73 - mailtc Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Enter 'dpkg -l | grep gtk' at a shell prompt and it should reveal which version of Gtk+ you have installed. Chances are it's newer than 2.4, but you may not have the equivalent development package installed (used for compiling Gtk-based programs from source). This will be called 'gtk-dev' or 'libgtk-dev' or similar. Use Synaptic's search function to find the Gtk development package.

As for "fiddly dependencies", Gtk is extremely common and almost every distro provides it -- hence why it's not really problematic. "Fiddly" dependencies are those rarely-used and hard-to-find libraries that you typically have to compile from source, and they often have a string of dependencies of their own too...

If you still have trouble, it may be worth emailing the developer(s) and asking them to make an Autopackage. That'll allow you to just double-click it and go! See http://www.autopackage.org for more about the ultra-easy software installation system.

Good luck!

M
dval

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: RE: LXf 73 - mailtc Reply with quote

Thanks M,

I will give that a try this evening, and let you know the result.

Dave
Linux u.n 398915
dval

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: RE: LXf 73 - mailtc Reply with quote

Hi M,

Loaded the libs, the compile and install went off without a hitch, then I got a segment error when running the package I will send the result to the authors and see if they have a solution.

Thanks for your assist.
Dave
Linux u.n 398915
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: