Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SOLVED]: HELP: Forgot Windows XP password

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruno
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]: HELP: Forgot Windows XP password Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've got a Win XP partition that I seldom use and I have forgotten the passwords (user and administrator) for it. Reinstalling is an option, as it contains no precious data/programmes but I'd prefer a more intelligent solution.

Does anyone know how can I get back in? The passwords are likely to be 12 characters long and the host machine is about 7 years old, so brute force is probably a no-go.

From searching, I have found that Windows XP keeps its user/password data in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM but the passwords are of course encrypted. Can I prepare a new SAM file with a known password and put it in place with System Rescue CD?

Another option is to read the Password Hint, but I don't get the option to see the hint on the login screen and can't find out how to get to it. Apparently the hint is stored in the registry as the default value in the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Hints\<Username> but I can't read the registry easily from System Rescue CD. Does anyone know in which file this is located?

Thanks in advance,
Bruno

Last edited by Bruno on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruno
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've found the solution; needless to say, not on MS Knowledge Base. A chap called Petter Nordahl-Hagen has produced a utility called "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor".

It's a live Linux CD or USB stick, and it will modify the SAM file to change or remove the password of a user or administrator, including the administrator. There was a warning about changing the password not working on XP and indeed I found that this didn't work, so I removed the password on the administrator account, booted windows and got back in. It was then just a matter of changing the passwords for all accounts and it was job done, reinstallation not necessary.

The whole utility weighs in at 4.1 MB. I'm very impressed. One for every sys-admin who has to take a trip to the dark side now and again.
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruno wrote:
It's a live Linux CD or USB stick, and it will modify the SAM file to change or remove the password of a user or administrator, including the administrator.

The whole utility weighs in at 4.1 MB. I'm very impressed. One for every sys-admin who has to take a trip to the dark side now and again.

Amazing isn't it, how even windows needs Linux to solve its problems, or its users' problems.
Bruno
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Linux to the rescue again Cool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: