Education software needed

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Education software needed

Postby heiowge » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:52 pm

My daughter has an autistic spectrum disorder. One of her problems relates to her recall of facts out of sequence.

She is struggling to learn her times tables. She is 9 and is falling behind her 5 year old brother with her 2x tables.

I've looked on ebay for decent flash cards for tables, but they're not cheap and printing my own doesn't work too well. I could make some, but it'd be better if there was a decent program to do the job.

Can anyone recommend a program or educational suite with that sort of thing?

Cheers.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm not sure if gcompris has exactly what you want, but if not it may still be worth a look-see for other attractive maths and reasoning "games" for children.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Many options

Postby Oh well! » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:38 pm

There are many options to choose from:

My daughter also has SEN and she has found a lot to enjoy and learn from in GCompris and TuxMaths. I cannot remember if flash cards, specifically, are part of the packages, but there are plenty of good activities.

For printable flash cards, you could try this: http://www.kitzkikz.com/flashcards/index.php. It seems to work pretty well: you just need to do the printing and scissor work.

This is an online flash card site/app/thingummy: http://www.multiplication.com/games/play/quick-flash-ii

And a web search for 'times tables games' yields many, many good resources.
Oh well!

Postby johnhudson » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm

A couple of alternatives: you could help her to develop the skills she has; it is not uncommon for people to have a difficulty in one area but proficiency in another.

I well remember a girl of 16 who could read the Times but had difficulty counting up to 10; she simply learned to work round the areas with which she had difficulty.

Alternatively, you could ask for a neurological assessment; the area of the brain which humans use for numbers over three was never intended for mathematics and there are some well-known conditions arising from damage to this area which create difficulties developing a 'number sense.'
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby pastychomper » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:47 am

There's a flashcard program for KDE, kwordquiz. I can't see any times-table flashcard files on the site (didn't look very hard) but you can make your own, and it might be easier than making a printed set.
pastychomper

Postby heiowge » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:59 am

I made my own 2x and 3x table flash cards old school in the end. They work great but took a while to do.

I'll have a play with all that suggested software when I get my main desktop fixed. Hopefully there's something in there that'll do the job.

Cheers.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Return to Help!