Linux book to order!

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux book to order!

Postby Narendra » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1118 ... ROKL5A1OLE

The above link shows a book to study Linux.
I am not sure whether to order it!
Please advise.
Thank you.
Narendra
Narendra
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Define 'study'. This book prepares you for the entry level LPI exams and is for the (semi)professional. If you're not willing to take the LPI exams, choose another book. Suggested titles: "Linux Bible" (I have the 2009 edition) and "Linux and Unix administration handbook", both for the (semi)professional as well as intermediate users. For starters, try "Running Linux" (O'Reilly).
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Narendra » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:45 pm

I am 63 years old and have no wish to take exams!
This is to know more about Linux.
But I'll try to get one of the books you have suggested.
Thank you!
Narendra
Narendra
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:12 pm

One of the best places is the Answers page of LXF; I learned a huge amount about motorcyles when I was younger just by reading those pages in the relevant magazines and much the same has happened since I began using Linux.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Re: Linux book to order!

Postby towy71 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Narendra wrote:The above link shows a book to study Linux.
I am not sure whether to order it!
Please advise.
Thank you.
As DM has said Running Linux is excellent if you ain't after qualification ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby xenopeek » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 am

Which Linux distro are you currently using? Perhaps based on that we could give you some good suggestions for that also.
xenopeek

Postby Narendra » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:22 am

I am using Ubuntu 12.04.
Narendra
Narendra
LXF regular

Postby xenopeek » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:20 am

If you are newer to Ubuntu and Linux in general, I'd recommend you visit the Ubuntu Manual Project. You can download the manual for free, or buy as a printed book. Just beneath the "Download Now" button is the "Alternative download options" link. Press that, and you can download the manual for 12.04, Second Edition.

Another good book is No Starch Press' Ubuntu Made Easy. Not available for free, but No Starch Press publish a lot of books on Linux and open source and I find them usually a pleasure to read and work through.

If you want to get better understanding of the command line, I'd recommend the Introduction to the Command Line book. You can read it online for free, download it for free, or buy the printed book.

When looking for a better understanding of the technical bits, like the package management system and such, the The Debian Administrator's Handbook would be my recommendation. (As Ubuntu is based on Debian, much in this book applies to Ubuntu as well but not everything.) Again, you can read it online for free, download it for free, or buy the printed book. This is more technical than the other books, but I found it highly approachable and fun to read.

It goes beyond saying, but Linux Format is an awesome magazine to get a broader understanding about Linux and each issue generally brings me something new to try or delve into :wink:
xenopeek

Postby Narendra » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:53 am

Thank you very much for your replies!
There are so many choices.
I used to subscribe for LF Magazine, had to stop it, never understood to compile installations from source! But I'll have a go again.
Narendra
Narendra
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:28 pm

johnhudson wrote:One of the best places is the Answers page of LXF.

I quite agree, I bought my first issue of the mag about two years ago. When I was looking for something to replace WMC. Now thanks to the mag I'm Windows free, on the flip side the mag has introduced far too many machines into my home :)

I found the Linux Bible 2011 and Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible to be fantastic books.

Lee
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Return to Help!