Android Play Store ver LXF & existing subscribers can't

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Should LXF Android Play Store version be free for current LXF Subscription customers

Poll ended at Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:36 am

Yes if they enter their subscription acct number because moving to electronic delivery is cheaper than printing mailing physical magazines
83%
No, its a different delivery method
No votes
I didn't know LXF was available now in Android Play Store
17%

Total votes : 6

Android Play Store ver LXF & existing subscribers can't

Postby bmullan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 am

I just read in my latest LXF that there was now LXF available via the Android Play Store.

I got my tablet fired up and checked and yes LXF is there but I could see no where that an existing subscriber of the magazine could download and install it without... having the resubcribe through Play Store ???

I don't want to pay twice for a 1 or 2 year subscription?

Any plans to change this.

Thanks...
Brian
bmullan

Postby xenopeek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:13 pm

It would be nice, and I agree because for my newspapers and another magazine I do get free access to the digital subscription as a print subscriber.

But I recall a related question from a digital subscriber, who wanted access to the subscriptions only area (archives). According to the website, that's not included with a digital subscription:
Please note that digital subscriptions do not include the coverdisc that comes with the magazine, or any covermount gifts. Access to the subscriptions only area is also not available.

IIRC it was answered in the magazine that the publisher doesn't want this. Adding free access the to digital subscriptions, for print subscribers, is probably a problem for the publisher for the same reason.
Linux Mint 14 Nadia / 64-bit / Cinnamon
xenopeek

Postby nelz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm not sure why you'd want two digital subscriptions, but print subscribers already get access to PDFs.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby xenopeek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Perhaps I've incorrectly assumed the iOS or Android subscription would be tailored to those devices? I'd think it would be reformatted for use on small screens of tablets and smartphones, and not be the same PDF file you can access as print subscriber on your computer (big screen :wink:).
Linux Mint 14 Nadia / 64-bit / Cinnamon
xenopeek

Postby nelz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Formatting it to work on anything from a 4" to 10" screen is quite a challenge. For that matter, reading it on a 4" screen would be quite a challenge. Perhaps they'll release an audio book version ;-)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:29 pm

Does that include the ad's then? :roll: :evil: :mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Return to Announcements