Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issue 168 Windows 8 Vs Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reklan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Issue 168 Windows 8 Vs Linux Reply with quote

Must say that this was an excellent article.. and though some people may say that obviously, the Linux Magazine will put Linux as the winner, I found it to hit the nail on the head.

Ok I'll admit that I first used Linux with Suse version 5 and fell in love with it.. started using linux fully with Mandrake version 8.

BUT i have also been using MS Os'es from DOS 3.3 for Work (I'm an IT Manager)

I have also been an MS Beta tester since Windows 98.. I can honestly say Windows 8 is the biggest bag of crap they have produced.. Yes I beta tested it, Hey a even bought a copy to install on one of my Laptops ( and have tried to use it properly to give it a fair go) The laptop previously ran windows 7 fantastically along with the usual Office apps, Visual studio, Eve Online and World of Warcraft.

With Win 8 installed to run EvE and Wow acceptably I had to really turn down the graphic to bare minimum, but still it wouldn't run correctly.. and everything that the article mentions about the apps and really needing 2 version of everything one for the metro interface and one for the desktop to get a suitable experience.

I actually unstalled it on Saturday and put Ubuntu 12.10 on the same laptop install Eve and WoW under wine and oh my god what a difference.. I'm even enjoying Unity now.. after Win 8 Unity makes sense (please don't hit me.. Smile )

So well done guys.. Wish you had done this last month and saved me the extra month of pain..

Last edited by reklan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard a lot of bad things about Win8, anecdotally, such as rants on Slashdot, but this is the first time I have read a professional review of it.

It sounds awful.

Basically, MS have forced a fondleslab UI on to every platform, including desktop PCs. When you ask why they could not have a different UI for different platforms, it seems that it is to give a uniform interface in case users get confused.

Yet I, and most people, cope with many different interfaces every day without getting confused, like TV, DVD player, phone, PC - and every web site has a different interface too. I even drive a car and ride a bike without insisting that the bike has a steering wheel.

This looks funny BTW. I haven't watched it all myself yet though - saving it for later :-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo&feature=youtu.be
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbour bought a Win8 laptop for his son but couldn't get it to see wifi, I couldn't find any easy way to configure wifi either Rolling Eyes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: