Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evolution: SMTP authentication required?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Evolution: SMTP authentication required? Reply with quote

I'm using Mint 14 with Evolution.

I can receive emails no problem but cannot send any.

When I attempt to send an email an error message appears telling me that a simple smtp authentication is required and to visit btyahoo.com/smtp. The address is not valid or is unavailable for some reason.

Has anyone experienced this? Can I authenticate from Evolution?
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of providers now expect authenication to prevent spamming; Edit>Peferences>Mail accounts. Select your main account and the Sending email tab.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhudson wrote:
A number of providers now expect authenication to prevent spamming; Edit>Peferences>Mail accounts. Select your main account and the Sending email tab.

What do I do in the Sending Email tab, select server requires authentication box? anything else?

It appears I can send an email but when I done a test to the other user on this laptop they didn't receive? Do I need to authorise anything in their emails?
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are using POP and SMTP to the same server, you need to select the encryption method - that should be stated on your ISP's website - and enter the password. If you happen to use different POP and SMTP servers, you should have a password to access your ISP's SMTP server via the web - use that.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhudson wrote:
Assuming you are using POP and SMTP to the same server, you need to select the encryption method - that should be stated on your ISP's website - and enter the password. If you happen to use different POP and SMTP servers, you should have a password to access your ISP's SMTP server via the web - use that.

Ok thanks, I'll sort that out. POP and SMTP to same server (BT?). I imagine it'll be the password I use for the BTYahoo mail login I use when I'm not using my own PC.

Thanks.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: