Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suitable OS for EEEPC 701

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnA1954

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Suitable OS for EEEPC 701 Reply with quote

Hi Everyone.
I know that there are loads of replacements for the original OS on the 701 and have tried several (Mint, Ubuntu, Lubuntu) but they all suffer from one problem: When connecting to a Wireless network they have the option to show the encryption key in text. We have 30 of these netbooks in the school I work in and we cannot allow this key to be made available to the pupils. The original OS does not show the key but is obviously well out of date.
Can anyone suggest a suitable OS that would not show this.
Many thanks in advance.
John
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried plain Debian? (install a minimal text system, then load XFCE or similar, but steer clear from KDE and Gnome!)
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 701 the 4G version? I have the 2G version. The biggest issue with a distro is size. Most distros these days are slightly larger than 4GB. Have you tried Ubuntu 10.04. I know it's not 100% up to date, but it is supported still.

Maybe puppy linux?

Failing all that, have you thought of Ubuntu Server an then installing XFCE over the top (along with any other essential apps)?

Or you could always install to an SD card...

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, while your replies are trying to help they don't address the issue of hiding the wep/wpa password problem; I'm sure someone knows the right answer it just ain't me Wink

Last edited by towy71 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought most distros had a handle on it. It's just that the eeepc's default Xandros is crap! Laughing

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that just while you do you the initial entry of the password, once it's set you have made the first connection it then can't be seen.

Edit.

Having checked, you can still recall it.

Edit #2

You could de-install Network Manager and install WICD as the last post in this thread states

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
JohnA1954

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
Apologies for not responding earlier but our Internet was down all day at work.
Yes the password can still be seen after a reboot. The original Xandros does not but as mentioned it is crap.
I am currently trying Dutch Master's suggestion of Debian. I use Squeeze as my main os but originally had thought it would be too large. Got as far as the basic install last night and still to install XFCE. (over the weekend)
RAM, thanks for that suggestion and sounds like an option to try if Squeeze does not work out.
Thanks again for your help, will post over weekend results.
John
Oh well!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: openSUSE Reply with quote

Here's an idea if you don't solve the problem with Debian:
Install openSUSE --> open YaST (requires entering the administrator password) --> Select Network Settings --> A message will appear saying that the 'network is currently controlled by Network Manager [Gnome desktop]: use that or switch network setup to traditional with ifup' --> click OK --> deselect 'User Controlled with Network Manager' and select 'Traditional Method with ifup' --> and then you're on your own--I'm still using Network Manager because it's simple and works. However, switching to ifup would, presumably, ensure that the network password is hidden from ordinary users and require that the administrator password is needed to view it. openSUSE makes switching to ifup easy; it will be possible in other distros, but it's probably fiddlier to sort out.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: