Clone Mint Nadia KDE from single hard drive to ssd + sata

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Clone Mint Nadia KDE from single hard drive to ssd + sata

Postby rabidcabbage » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:22 am

I have recently trialled Mint Nadia KDE on my Toshiba laptop. The install consists of a root partition, a home partition, and a swap partition, all on the single 750 gig hybrid drive. BTRFS on all drives (cept swap of course)
I am happy with the way this has turned out, and so would like to clone this onto my desktop unit without having to do a clean install involving re-installing all the software.
The desktop has a 128 gig ssd and a terrabyte drive currently allocated to Ubuntu 10.04. The ssd houses root, the sata unit houses home and the swap.
I would like to clone the root partition from the laptop to the ssd, and the home and swap partions to the terrabyte drive.
How can i achieve this and keep all links between drives intact?
rabidcabbage

Postby glenn4uk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Hello rabidcabbage. How're things down under?

I'd use clonezilla for your project. Boot your laptop with Clonezilla and clone root and home partitions separately to image files on an external disk or usb drive. Then boot the desktop with clonezilla and using those images on the external or usb drive, clone them to wherever you want them. Then all you need to do is create a new swap then modify your /etc/fstab to reflect the desktop device locations.

If you don't have an external drive or large enough usb drive for your image files, clonezilla also allows you to image the partitions device to device using the network.
glenn4uk

Postby rabidcabbage » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:04 am

Thanks glenn4uk, i appreciate that advice. Things are warm Down-under - i shelter by my air conditioner as i type this!
I do have plenty of back -up available so that would appear to be the way to go. Theres my weekend - will be sad to see 10.04 go - it has served me well.
An idea just occurred to me - could i substitute the fstab file from the current desktop system - replace the cloned one from the laptop? After all, it all ready lists where everything is and lists the other (windows) drives connected in the same box too. An organ transfer, if you will. Would it be compatible, do you think? :D
PS Looks like your' winter is pretty crap over there...
rabidcabbage

Postby glenn4uk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:08 pm

The new fstab would have to change to reflect the new locations of your file systems. That is, / and /home are now mounted on partitions on a single drive if I understand correctly. Probably / mounted on /dev/sda1 and /home on /dev/sda5 or something similar. When you clone those file systems to 2 drives / will still probably be /dev/sda1 but /home will be on /dev/sdb, maybe /dev/sdb1. It all depends on how you partition your drives.
glenn4uk

Return to Help!